Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Celticspring Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 10:12 AM
    Voluntarily Relinquishing Parental Rights
    I recently heard that my ex has decided to give up his parental rights on our son. He has recently, within the last year, gotten remarried and his new wife does not like my son, nor does my son like her. She has attempted to physically harm me in his presence and now my son doesn't want to see his dad or be with his dad if she is around. His father doesn't like that idea and has said that if our son can't accept his new wife, then he will just sign his rights away. He hasn't seen our son since November 12, 2005 and he has, once again gotten fired from a job and is once again behind on child support. Is there any way he can voluntarily relinquish his rights without us having to go to court over it, i.e.. Some paper he can just sign, have notarized and filed?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 16, 2006, 10:18 AM
    No. Relinquishing parental rights is generally done only to clear the way for adoption. It does not absolve him of financial responsibility. He will still owe the court ordered child support unless that order is modified.

If he doesn't want to see the kid anymore, he can just give up his visitation rights. All that would be necessary is for him to send you a letter to that affect.
    velvetjones Posts: 78, Reputation: 11

Oct 25, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Perhaps the new wife is bitter to the point of going nuts because she doesn't like the fact that her husband has to pay child support. Even if he is still behind in child support, you should still be entitled to back support when he does come up with the money. Are you re-married? Would your new husband adopt your son?
    Celticspring Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 11:47 AM
    I don't know about her being bitter, she is just very controlling and down right EVIL. She won't even let him have pictues of our son. As for the child support, I don't have to worry about that. I have it going through the state, so when he does get behind they take him to court on my behalf. We have already gone to court over this matter 3 or 4 times. I am not remarried, but I do live with my boyfriend. I don't know if I would ever let another man adopt a child of mine unless it is something they BOTH wanted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2006, 06:39 PM
    Yes the honest truth is his new wife does not like having to see that money being paid to you for child support. I will agree with that, the most likely hidden motive.

But no he can not just give up his legal rights, he can stop seeing his son, he does not have to visit him, but he has to send you that check every month.

Unless you agree to let him give up his rights, he has them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 11 Answers ]

I am divorced. My ex-wife has a boy friend who wants to adopt my children. They are not married. Does he have to marry her before he can adopt? Do I have any rights to visit or communicate with my children if I give permission to adopt?

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Relinquishing of Father's Parental Rights [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Everyone. My name is Catherine. I live in Chesapeake, Virginia. I need to know what I need to do do get my daughter's father's rights terminated. He's already signed a paper stating he is willingly terminating his rights and got it notarized. I know I went to some site and it said if the...

Relinquishing all rights ? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok the legal guardian of the baby Ive been caring for over the past 7 months signed the baby over to me by relinquishing all rights through a public notary .Ok now the original mother got out of jail Monday and brought me the court order which was for the girl that signed him over to me ordering...

View more questions Search