Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arabgal Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Smaller Orbit
    Suppose the Orbit of the Earth Were 5% Smaller (a = 0.95 au) than it is today (a = 1.0 au). What would happen??
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 10:21 AM
    We can certainly say that the average temp on the planet would be higher... which would in turn create many other differences.

... then we'd suppose tides would be different too. Even if the moon stayed it's current distance from us, then the sun's gravitational pull would be stronger.

These are just what I could come up with off the top of my head. I bet there'd be other changes/differences also.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 24, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arabgal
    Suppose the Orbit of the Earth Were 5% Smaller (a = 0.95 au) than it is today (a = 1.0 au). What would happen????
    The positions of orbits of all planets is fixed by a pattern based on harmonics synchronisation. You can not have one planet only moving 5%.
    The observed pattern is :
    0.4 AU - Mercury
    0.7 AU - Venus
    1.0 AU - Earth
    1.5 AU - Mars
    2.3 to 3.3 AU - Asteroid Belt (position for a never formed planet due to Jupiter influence)
    5.2 AU - Jupiter
    9.5 AU - Saturn
    19.6 AU- Uranus
    30.0 AU- Neptune
    But ASSUMING it would be possible to move the orbit of planet earth 5% nearer to the sun, the results would be an increase of incoming solar energy by about 7%. Deadly for nature as we know it, as it would raise the earth surface temperature with over 7% - on top of the already rising temperature due to pollution effects.
    ;)
    Kreck75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2011, 11:37 AM
    Suppose the Orbit of the Earth were 5% larger (a=1.05au) today than it was yesterday when a=1.0 au. What would be different in life?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2011, 04:10 PM
    If it was 5% larger diameter, I believe the surface of the Earth would be raised over 3700 Miles, Way taller than Everest, Likely much colder, Tides would not be a problem as the water would be frozen.
    Also to consider that the Lower Atomsphere would be at the new elevation and may be normal as now.
    If I had a Sun and some Planets to experiment with, I could come up with a better answer?
    Wonder if someone is able to provide a more accurate guess/answer.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 06:00 AM
    Stratmando - he asked about earth's orbit being 5% larger, not the earth's diameter. The effect of the earth's diameter being 5% larger really depends on whether you assume the earth's density remains the same as today - in which case the earth's gravity at sea level would be greater than it is today - or if you assume the earth's mass remains the same - in which case the density would be less and gravity at the earth's surface would also be less.

Kreck - see RickJ's earlier answer - that should help you think it through what happens if the earth's orbit is changed. One thing I would add is that the length of the year would be longer - for circular orbits the period of orbit squared is proportional to the radius of the orbit cubed. So the year would be about 7.6% longer than the current year, or about 27 days longer. And since the radiative heating of a body is inversely proportional to the square of the distance you can see that average temperatures would be lower as well - by about 10% on the kelvin scale. That equates to average temps worldwide below freezing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to save JPEG into smaller size of file... [ 1 Answers ]

Im using Corel and Adobe... I want to know how to export my work into a smaller size of JPEG file... cause I enccounter this when Im to upload a photo in a site... but it asking me to upload only 110 x 110 pixels and 15k... so I edit my 2 x 2 photo (300 DPI) using photoshop I try to reduce the...

Orbit of the sun [ 1 Answers ]

How many miles or kilometres does the Earth travel in one orbit of the sun? Is it constant?

Earths orbit around the Sun [ 1 Answers ]

What kinds of changes would happen in our lives if the Earth's orbit around the Sun were increased by 5%?

View more questions Search