Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 10:58 PM
    Getting rid of ants
    I keep getting ants. Every time I get rid of them from one area they end up somewhere else. They started on the bathroom floor. Raid failed. So I started using terro ant spay and ant dust. I stopped finding them on the floor and they ended up on the counter. So I sprayed the counter. Then they ended up on the kitchen counter (not in any food stuff, just on everything else). I sprayed everywhere I could and put dust down everywhere I could (the window sills, all along the floor). I didn't see any ants for weeks. Then the other day I went to grab some stuff out of my pantry and my cheerio bag was filled with ants. Along with the rest of my pantry. And put terro liquid ant bait down and now there's only a few ants left crawling around in there. Normally I wold spray and put the dust down but seeing as I have to store food there, I'm thinking covering it with ant poison is a bad idea. Is there a safe way for me to keep the ants away?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 04:13 AM
    You've been having LOTS of fun losing this race, haven't you?

The trouble you're having stems from your approach. You are trying to kill/repel the workers coming in to get food or water for the nest and the queen. The queen can produce workers faster than you can buy cans. That's all she does, 24/7 and no holidays.

Finding the nest and killing the queen will solve the problem. The trouble with that is sometimes the nest is hidden, under a driveway, inside a cinderblock or retaining wall, etc.
    This is the way baits work, they let the workers carry the poison to the queen.

I would recommend applying ant bait outside the building. Not only does this get the bait closer to the queen so the workers don't die before they can feed her, it also attracts the workers AWAY from your pantry.

Use a granular ant bait, it's more weather resistant.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 04:16 AM

I agree. You have to treat around the house outside as well
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 09:21 AM

Thank you. Any particular granular ant baits you recommend?
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    thank you. any particular granular ant baits you recommend?
    Just about any of them will work eventually. If you can see or feel the actual granules, the smaller the granule size the faster the workers will pick it up.

One thing I forgot - inside your cupboards and pantry area, clean with an aromatic detergent such as ammonia or chlorine. The worker ants leave a pheromone scent trail to the goodies they've decided to attack and those seem to disrupt that trail. Pine oil reinforces the trail, as do the citric acid cleaners. 409 works, Spic'n'span doesn't.
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 09:34 AM

Thank you! 409 and new ant bait is now on my shopping list!
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 09:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    thank you! 409 and new ant bait is now on my shopping list!
    I hate endorsing a particular brand, but the detergent in 409 doesn't fit any other categories. Good luck and patience. You will need the latter.
    darrellg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 01:48 PM
    The type of ant maks a difference as to the kind of bait used. Are the ants BIG and Black? These are Carpenter ants. Go on line look up bait for Carpenter Ants,The bait is 29.95 and really works. How ever your work is not done. Put the bait out and follow the little guys and see where they go. You need to know where the nest is located. There is a possibility there is wood (rotted) damage. These ants are very destructive and the damage must be repaired.
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 03:10 PM
    [QUOTE=darrellg;1876386] Are the ants BIG and Black? These are Carpenter ants. /QUOTE]

Or Harvester Ants, or Big Headed ants, or Cornfield ants. Many species have large size and black coloration. The activity justcurious described indicates more mundane types.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ants, and plants, any ground cover ants don't like? [ 8 Answers ]

We have major problem with small sugar ants. Is there any kind of ground cover or other plants that ants don't like that we could plant. We spray every year. Does not seem to do any good. We end up with them in our house. Going crazy. Help please, any ?

Ants everywhere [ 11 Answers ]

Does anyone know a great way to get rid of ants? I have little bity ants... on my house, on my car, IN my car, in my shower, etc. They have little "holes" or tunnels in my back yard too. I have tried "Triazaphene" (sp?) but it is not working. HELP

Getting rid of ANTS! [ 5 Answers ]

I woke up yesterday to find my kitchen walls and counters covered by ants. I clean and disinfect the kitchen everyday. None of the products that I've tried have worked. Any suggestion?

Get rid of My ANTS! [ 7 Answers ]

I have ants in my bathroom and my sink. How do I get rid of them? I've put the poison on the beds, but they still thrive. Help me.:confused:

Ants [ 7 Answers ]

Does anybody know any good tips for getting rid of ants?

View more questions Search