Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snippy07 Posts: 84, Reputation: 6

Jul 10, 2009, 09:28 PM
    Coke cause upset stomach?
    I used to drink a lot of soda and it started making my stomach feel upset, but for the past month I switched to gatorade. I drank a can of coke this morning after I ate my regular lunch because that's all I had in the fridge. After drinking the coke 1 minute later I felt kind of sick, a few more minutes later I threw up. My question is can soda cause you to throw up? Since I drank too much before I'm thinking my stomach just had enough of the soda.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 09:38 PM

Was it diet coke?

Its always possible that something your not used to anymore can upset your stomach. Especially soda, since it has the carbonation. I wouldn't think it could make you throw up, but it depends on how upset your stomach becomes.
    snippy07 Posts: 84, Reputation: 6

Jul 10, 2009, 09:49 PM

It was regular coke, mountain dew also make my stomach feel upset I forgot to mention that. At work I was drinking mountain dew all the time, one day it made my stomach feel like crap and that's when I started drinking gatorade instead.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 10:11 PM

It could be the carbonation, or the syrup, or the fact hat you have been drinking sugar free drinks, and then jumped right back into the sugar again.

Talk to your doctor. He may know better.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 11:19 PM

Gatorade doesn't have any caffeine in it. Caffeine, which is in both coke and mountain dew may have caused your body to rebel.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 11:45 AM

All sodas, diet or not, contain phosphoric acids... you can use the stuff to take the corrosion off battery leads... so see if other acidic drinks have a similar effect...

Orange juice, tomato juice... for ex...

If all sodas do this, you have issues with excessive sensitivity to acidic drinks.

Does an acid neutralizer, like tums, stop the pain?

Honestly, when in doubt, please see a licensed medical provider for help you can trust.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2009, 01:29 PM

It most likely is that you have an over acidy stomach and it is getting sensitive to the sodas. Rather than taking antacids it is better to eat foods that will balance your PH.

This site should help you learn to choose foods that will balance your acidity level.
    Foods that natural balance your pH

And give up the coke.

I started my addiction when I was 14 yrs old.
    43 yrs later I was getting too acidic and the next thing I knew I was getting adrenaline exhaust, nerve damage, hot flashes and a potassium/sodium imbalance. Then I heard about a month ago that the phosphoric acid and some of the other chemicals in Coke and Pepsi are causing hypokalemia which is a potassium/sodium imbalance and I do believe my other symptoms are a result of that. I am sure that is what I have.
    spiritcharms Posts: 230, Reputation: 30

Aug 27, 2009, 10:50 AM

I think its called aspartame poisoning that's causing the pain. Stay away from sodas,cokes or anything with that stuff in it and see how yo feel.
    Cedric J Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2009, 02:10 PM

It's probably a good thing, because soda is so unhealthy for you. You should stop drinking it all together, the sugar is just empty calories.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 02:39 PM
    Aspartame is not in regular coke.

If you feel the need for a drink with carbonation (God, I've been there), think about "sparkling water"... it has the carbonation your body might crave for the momemt
    redch1ld Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 05:34 PM
    My husband is the same way. He can't have soda or anything carbonated without feeling nauseated/upset stomach and a trip to the toilet. Not even sparkling water.
    redch1ld Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2010, 05:35 PM
    My husband is the same way. He can't have soda or anything carbonated without feeling nauseated/upset stomach and a trip to the toilet. Not even sparkling water.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stomach upset before pill packet ended [ 3 Answers ]

I had a stomach upset last Sunday (diarrhea) and still had pills left in my packet for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I took them as normal and my period came Saturday as normal. By this point I'd forgotten all about the stomach upset and had sex on Saturday evening. I only just remembered that the...

Coke versus diet Coke in the gas tank [ 1 Answers ]

Depending on the source, some say that sugar in a gas tank will not cause any engine problems. Others say you'll need to replace the engine. That is quite a difference of opinion. I guess a why would be in order! Apparently since sugar will not dissolve in gas, the sugar will simply plug up the...

Different 'telling' on upset stomach/vomit : pill [ 3 Answers ]

Hey. It's confusing me when sometimes the answer comes out 'upset stomach' and not 'vomiting'. If you have a upset stomach and not vomit does it still effect the pill still? Or do both have the same effectiveness?

Miniature greyhound, upset stomach... HELP. [ 5 Answers ]

We have a miniature greyhound that has a constant stomach problem, she will be fine for several days then all of a sudden she won't eat because her stomach is upset, sometimes she vomits, no diarrhea. We have taken her to the vet several times and he gives her a shot of "Pepcid" and then she is...

View more questions Search