Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 08:55 AM
    Hand washing temperature
    Where would I find an authoritative recommendation on the proper temperature to set a small water heater used for hand washing in a rest room? It is used by both preschoolers and adults after diaper changing, and also the elderly.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 16, 2006, 09:03 AM
    While I could not find an exact temp I did look up www.cdc.gov and www.handhygiene.org

Both are helpful, and both say not to use HOT water. But what is hot to one is not hot to another.

My Nursing manual says "Regulate flow of water so that theperature is warm." Fundamentals of Nursing Potter - Perry, page 791

Hope this helps a little bit.

I also found on page 791 the following

"Warm water removes less of the protective oils than hot water."

When helping patients in the hospital we are told to run our wrist under the water to make sure it is comfortable. That is the temp that works best.

Sorry though I could not find an exact temp # for you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2006, 09:23 AM
    Hey Lab,

Water heaters come with a factory setting of 120 degrees. I scaled mine back to 110 which is a conferrable temperature for me to shower without tempering it with cold water. While this is fine for me I woud start at 105 degrees and go from there. I like J9's wrist test. I would set the temperature for the children's comfort zone. Good luck, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 01:02 PM
    Thanks for the prompt answers. So there is no good reason not to turn it down to 120 from 130 as I was told to?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2006, 01:47 PM
    I don't know Lab,
    130 degrees would be too hot for me to shower with. . I can only imagine how it would feel to a child. If it were my call I'd crank it back to 105 or 110 degrees and go from there. If it's too cool you can always set it higher. Regards, Tom,
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 02:09 PM
    Labman, if it helps, I checked with the New York State Health Dept website,and found several references that their maximum allowed temperature in medical facilities is 110 deg F.

My point is maybe good to check your local health dept for their regulations, as your situation seems to involve a public facility.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2006, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Where would I find an authoritative recommendation on the proper temperature to set a small water heater used for hand washing in a rest room? It is used by both preschoolers and adults after diaper changing, and also the elderly.
    Most health department inspectors require the temperature at a institutional/commercial hand sink to be at least 110 degrees fahrenheit.

If the hot water tank exceeds 110 degrees and is also used to feed other fixtures , then a point of use tempering valve must be installed.
    DoctorA1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 03:27 PM
    The "Food Code 2009", which is not mandated, but as a recommendation for local healht departments, prepared by the U. S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES, which is available at http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/RetailFoodProtection/FoodCode/FoodCode2009/default.htm states the following:

5-202.12 Handwashing Sink, Installation.
    (A) A handwashing sink shall be equipped to provide water at a temperature of at least 38oC (100oF) through a mixing valve or combination faucet.

110 degrees was in the 1999 version and should be the maximum, not the minimum. They reviesed the guide to avoid confusion by local health departments. This is more for the comfort of the handwasher than for bacteriostatic control or removal of oily substances, as handwashing soaps are design for any temperature range. Prolonged or frequent use at 110 will cause damage to the skin tissue and can result in less washing and cracks in the skin which will harbor more bacteria.
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Dec 5, 2009, 03:31 PM
    There is a good reason.

One is to protect those who will be using the facilities, and it will cost you less to run it at a lower setting. It could also be a "liability". You wouldn't want to have anyone burned.

Set on a lower setting as your organization or facility states it should be.
    If it doesn't state anything, go for the lower setting of a safest temperature.

Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2009, 05:48 PM

Doctor and Cyber,
    You guys are answering a post that's over three years old. Before you post please check the top left hand corner for the date. Thank you, Tom

Dec 5, 2009, 07:00 PM

Wow, talk about being late to the party. This is late. Doctor1, I just jumped in after you.

Well, I guess we can go back to doing chores. (grin)
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2009, 08:51 PM

No prob Cyber,
    From whay I've seen you're doing a great job. Keep it up and Welcome to the Plumbing Page! Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 5, 2009, 09:10 PM

Skin turns red under 125 F hot water. Turning "red" means first step in getting scalded. This is especially true with old people and children who have thinner skin. I would turn your hot water heater down to 110 F.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2009, 06:07 AM

Milo,
    You've just rersponded to a post that's over three years old.

Dec 6, 2009, 07:41 AM

This post did get a little personal.

I had to give a statement for a woman who was seriously injured from a complex that refused to turn down the water temp.

It was too high and she had gotten in the shower and slipped. When she slipped her foot knocked the hot water handle and she was seriously burned. The shock and injury caused her much harm. She couldn't react soon enough to turn the water off. This was something very disturbing to me.

I was asked about this temp issue before the injury, and that had prompted her and others to asked the management to turn it down. They did not. She was under going treatment for cancer when this happened. It caused her not to have her treaments for a time because she had such bad injury, they had to deal with that first. From that injury, other things occurred. She has is gone now, but when I see people not do their part to keep other people safe... grrrr.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taken in hand [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone here know what a "taken in hand" relationship with your spouse is? Do you know if it works? I've heard some things, but I would like to talk to someone in one. Isn't a certain amount of a husband being dominating normal in any relationship? What's normal now days? Is the man...

Numbness in hand [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's wrists hurt, almost like a soreness. Her doctor had told her that it is to do with the tendons and she needs to see a physical therapist. I tend to think she should go see an orthopedic doctor. Anyway, her one hand goes numb anytime she hits a certain spot in her wrist. It doesn't happen...

Other kids getting out of hand [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am married with 3 children. Marisa (10), Gina (8) and Nicholas (6). We usually call him Nick. I'm close with my extended family and my question has to do with dealing with my cousin Paul (47) and his son Cory (13). Paul is married for the 2nd time and also has a daughter, but she is...

Need a hand [ 3 Answers ]

I’m 53 years old, educated so long ago that it’s un-important now… Had a realistic dream some three years ago started writing it down and haven’t stopped since. Three books (Intercepted Thoughts #1, Disputed Territory.. Earth #2, Earth Dispatch One #3) one short story “A Hastening of Maturity” and...

Hand me down V-BOX [ 1 Answers ]

I have just been given an older V-Box computer, of about 1999-2000 vintage. I am trying to locate information about the motherboard. A manual would be preferred. Is there a good place to find information? KD7LXX

View more questions Search