Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sethrobbins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 08:51 AM
    2nd floor sink drain slow... all others fine
    Hi all,

So my wife and I bought this house several months ago. Initially the 2nd floor tub and sink drained slowly. I drainoed the and plunged the tub - problem solved, but the sink is stubborn. I've used a lot of draino and tried to plunge and snake it, sometimes it will help a little for a day or so. It takes about 5 seconds for the water to back up but the trap is clear.

I suspect that the problem is that the length of the pipe on both sides of the trap are too long resulting in backup of water - but I really have no idea if this accurate, it's just a hunch.

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Seth
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2006, 09:46 AM
    Hi Seth,

" It takes about 5 seconds for the water to back up but the trap is clear."
    You have a blockage in the lateral drain line, (the horizontal line inside the wall) and it will have to be snaked out.
    Remove the "J" bend from the trap and send a snake up the piece coming out of the wall. You will hit a elbo about 6 inches in but crank and work your way around it. Put out about 6 foot more and pull it out. Reassemble the trap and flush out the line with hot water. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Slow basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

It all started with an unplugged sump pump. As far as I can tell there has been about 4 inches of water in this basement for a really long time. The sump wouldn't start when plugged in, so I rented a pump and drained from the sump well. What remained was a dark greyish sludge that smelled...

Sewage smell on 2nd floor shower drain [ 12 Answers ]

I have a shower on the second floor that has a foul smell. I have tried to put everything recommended through the drain with no luck. Can you please give me some advise?

2nd story tub/shower drain slow [ 1 Answers ]

House is 35 years old and the shower tub (2nd floor) combination drains very slow.I have took off the drain screen and noticed that about 2 -3 inches below screen the drain has something that turns the water to drain. I cannot not snake from here because snake would not get past this piece. Any...

Slow sink drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I have been having problems with my kitchen sink draining extremely slow. If I put any chemicals down the drain, there is no effect. I checked the trap and it is clean. If I clear it with a plunger it works great, completely drains and runs great for about 30 seconds and then backs up...

View more questions Search