Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 03:39 PM
    How to pick up wireless signal
    Pretty new with this wireless stuff and need help. What do I add to my work station computer to pick up the wireless signal from our town's wireless signal. One friend says router and another says wireless USB adapter. Once I have the coreect device how do I connect with it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2009, 03:42 PM
    USB adapter. Is this a free wireless network in your town? We have the same thing here.
    Once you install it it will look for nearby networks, then you can connect to it.

Jul 10, 2009, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I bought a Belkin wireless USB adapter and used their disc to install. It says no signal but my daughter can pick up a signal on her lap top which came wireless from the factory. Any idea why she gets it and I don't?

Jul 11, 2009, 08:30 PM

My daughter just left my house and she picked up 6 wireless signals from neighbors routers, 5 protected and one not. Hy wouldn't my Belkin adapter show that I am getting a signal?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 14, 2009, 03:30 PM

Does your PC detect the wireless adapter? Do you have an icon on the tray that allows you to search for networks? Is the adapter b, g or n?

Jul 16, 2009, 09:51 AM

Scott, never got any notification that you responded? So been sitting on my thumb. It's a N mimo from belkin. I unplugged my DSL line and plugged the adapter in the USB port and booted their install disk. The disc runs but my computer keeps telling me to plug in a phone line and I get no further.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 10:31 AM

Hi,
    Belkin's site is not the best I am more familiar with other brands, but Belkin has free tech support 24/7 at 877.736.5771
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a wifi phone pick up a signal without buying the data plan through verizon [ 3 Answers ]

When using a cell phone that has internet capability. If it is a wi fi capable phone, do you have to buy the data plan, or can you just use the wi fi if you are with in range of a signal. And if so, can you send and receive text and picture messages without getting the internet data plan?

Need to boost a wireless signal [ 3 Answers ]

Here is what I'm looking for, I can receive the wireless signal on my laptop but its very weak, what can I buy to boost the signal? What's best? Another access point or a repeater? Is it possible to get another wireless router and hook it up? Will it receive the signal and then boost it up to send...

How can I get a wireless signal where I want it? [ 5 Answers ]

http://img.techpowerup.org/081123/Untitled.jpg Dad's router and main PC is at point A. I want to connect using laptop's wifi from point B but I don't get any signal. I only get the signal (and a very strong one at that) if I go to point C. However that's not practical because it's on the roof &...

How can I boost my Wireless Signal? [ 4 Answers ]

My Wireless Signal is 65% at the moment, but for complete satisfaction for my Nintendo Wii and Computer, I'd like it to be 80% or higher? Is there any way of doing this?

Improving Wireless Signal [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Motorola E95 wireless router and the signal is OK and I can receive it in manyrooms in my home but I would like to increase the coverage area without a lot of fuss. I would appreciate any suggestions. While I am somewhat computer savy, I am not a tech-head. RBJ:confused:

View more questions Search