Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sockxmonkeyxwee Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Flight Attendant
    I have been thinking about getting a job as a flight attendant. I LOVE flying and traveling, so a job like this would be like my dream job.
    However, I am severely emetophobic, which means I have a fear of vomit.
    I know airsickness is common, but I don't want to let it stop me.
    But at the same time, as a flight attendant, dealing with a passenger who is ill would be INCREDIBLY difficult for me. When someone near me gets sick or is visibly unwell, I panic and my hands sweat and my mind races and I can barely bring myself to even speak. I know all that sort of screams BAD IDEA but apart from the occasional sick passenger, this job sounds like so much fun!
    What are the pro's and con's of being a flight attendant, and do you think its something that's worth working through my phobia to accomplish?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 01:18 PM

I've flown many times over the years and have yet to know that someone on the plane got airsick. (Maybe they threw up quietly?)

Meet with a counselor or therapist a few times to find ways to overcome this phobia. Sometimes "flooding" works -- being doused with buckets of... never mind.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Jul 12, 2009, 03:54 AM

I don't think it's usually the adults that get airsick, but children seem to more frequently. My year old daughter threw up during landing down the leg of some poor business traveler. I was so embarrassed. But what can you do? Does baby spit up make you sick? Most flights have more than one attendant, not saying that you should not participate, but maybe take the backseat when things like this happen. Be the one to hand wet towels or bags or whatever. I don't think they expect attendants to clean up a passengers person. I don't know who cleans the plane either. These might be things to find out first.
    wolfgangschwarz Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 2, 2011, 08:38 PM
    Hello I'm a pilot for Lufthansa and I have a member of my flight crew who is airsick too, so don't worry :). I would suggest taking phobia lessons or just going for it, the way my crew member copes is by flying with me, it sounds strange but she trusts me above other pilots. Being a captain I get to choose my crew so I always choose her, you may need to find a pilot you trust and try and do the same, but its hard.

Best of luck Flugkapitan Wolfgang Schwarzstein.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flight of dragons [ 2 Answers ]

Animated 80's about a board game a man enters and becomes a dragon,has to learn to become a dragon and to find his way back to the real world :confused: :(

Flight School [ 2 Answers ]

Iam a thirteen yearold that deeply desires to be a pilot. Is there anything online that can help prepare me for flight school?

Gay Flight Attendant [ 4 Answers ]

THE GAY FLIGHT ATTENDANT My flight was being served by an obviously gay flight attendant, who seemed To put everyone in a good mood as he served us food and drinks. As the plane prepared to descend, he came swishing down the aisle and told us That 'Captain Marvey has asked me to announce...

Boring flight (What to do?) [ 1 Answers ]

What are some fun, sensible things to do on a long flight? (fun thing to do for a sensible grown up... i.e - not childish or immature)

View more questions Search