Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marijeanette Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 09:38 PM
    My dog refuses to go for a walk!
    Hi everyone,

My 6 months old puppy refuses to go for a walk. It has been going on for over 6 weeks now and so the only way to excise him is to play with him inside. I can’t take him to a park because I don’t’ trust him around other dogs (he plays very rough as he is a staffy). My husband takes the dog with him to football training every week so he can run around and we take him to a friend’s house every week too (where he can exercise because they have a massive backyard). But I want to be able to walk him.

When we first got him (and after he had his injections) I walked him everyday and he loved it. But recently he just doesn’t want to go for a walk. He gets excited when I put the lead on him but when we get about 300-500 meters from the house he just stops. I have tried to use treats but it doesn’t work. To my knowledge nothing has happened on our walks that could have scared him. He will walk with my husband even though he never used to walk him before.

I think my dog sees my husband as the alpha male in our household and so maybe he doesn’t want to go out without “the leader”. I am trying really hard to be the second in charge and I hope the dog knows his place. How can I be sure that he does?

Does any one have any suggestion about why this could be happening and what I can do to change the situation?

Thank you for your help.
    rockerchick_682 Posts: 496, Reputation: 72

Jul 9, 2009, 09:49 PM
    The only advice that I can come up with would be to put the leash on and then get him all riled up while playing. When he is very excited grab the leash and walk out the door. Try not to think about him stopping because he might sense it and stop. Just try to stay determined and keep moving forward.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 03:02 AM
    He begins to feel male at six months. You need to take him through an obedience course then work with him and your husband at home. He will work better for Daddy right now, which is why you need to be the primary trainer.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 03:16 AM

Catsmine is correct. He needs some obedience classes. You and your husband should attend since you both will be walking him. Once you start be consistent. One day of letting him get away with something will ruin all the traing you have done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Employer Refuses to Pay [ 5 Answers ]

I have made every effort to get my final paycheck from my former employer. They refuse to send it. My next step is small claims court. Can I sue for court costs?

Dad refuses. [ 8 Answers ]

I am 17 years old. I became pregnant when I was 16. I now have a baby girl who is almost 8 weeks old. My father kicked me out of the house when I was 4 months pregnant. He is now refusing to re-sign me up for insurance. I need the insurance because I need to go to a doctor for a few medical...

He refuses to see that it's over [ 4 Answers ]

I have been married for 5 years and am not or never was in love the way you are supposed to be with my husband. We fight a lot and have different ways of parenting. Different religions, interests, just have nothing in common. He is always gone to his friends house. He yells at me and the kids on a...

My dog refuses to eat [ 16 Answers ]

I am at my wits end with my 6 year old husky/shepherd. She had not eaten for about 3 days so we took her to our local emergency vet almost two weeks ago. They did a series of x-rays and also a barium swallow on her. They saw, what they thought, was a mass, which was not allowing food to empty...

View more questions Search