Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abyrd23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 01:33 AM
    Dog will not pee or poop outside
    I just adopted a 2 year old greyhound terrier mix from the kennel four weeks ago. The kennel said that he was an inside dog. The problem is getting him to go to potty outside. He seems to be shy about peeing and pooping. I have taking him for a two hour walk through the park and around the block and I cannot get the dog to go outside. The most he will do is a couple of drops. People have suggested a bladder problem, but he leaves huge puddles and poops all over the house. The strange thing is no one ever sees him do it. He hides under the table, behind the entertainment center any other place he can hide. I have tried leaving him is the yard for a couple of days and seeing if he will go but there was nothing in the yard and when he came in the first thing I found when I woke the next morning was pee and poop all over the entertainment room. I know dogs take work but it is a full time job trying to get the dog to use the bathroom outside. Any suggestions.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 04:17 AM
    I do all I can to encourage adoption, and hate to see somebody's good deed punished like that. The long walks were a good idea. Leaving him outside by himself would have worked with some dogs. What you are going to have to do is learn to read him, learn his schedule, and keep a close eye on him. Use gates or closed doors to keep him in the same room as you. I have a short chain fastened to the one computer desk so I can keep a puppy right at my side while I work. Some people even leash the dog to themselves.

When you can't watch him, you must restrict him, a crate is best. Other dogs may not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy. Accidents are the fault of whoever was watching the dog.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.

Part of the problem may be that he was punished too severely when caught relieving himself in the house. He learned he would be punished if seen relieving himself. He didn't understand it was for being inside the house. You must catch him in the act, but rather than punish him, rush him outside. If you can, pick him up to take him out. Then keep him moving. Maybe even let him disappear behind behind a bush in a fenced yard. Eventually he will finish relieving himself. Praise him lavishly for it. A few instances of that may be all it takes. Keep it up until he understands you will not punish him for relieving himself. The praise slowly shifts to going to the door. Some people hang a bell there for the dog to paw. If your dog doesn't figure this out, try praising it and putting it out if it even gets near the door.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 year old dog suddenly pee/pooping in the house! [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know WHAT to do about this. I've had my dog for 3 years now, ever since she was 8 weeks. I house trained her as soon as I got her, and she got the hang of it right away. She's been so good about it for the past 3 years. However, in the past 2 weeks, she's suddenly been peeing and...

Pee Pads [ 2 Answers ]

I just got a yorkie he is 9 weeks. My husband and I leave him for 8 hours when we go to work.We have a space gated off for him with toys,bed,water and his pee pad. He just starting eating his pee pad. I come home it's all over his gated area. What should I do?

Need help with pee pee problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a middle aged spayed male dog that I got from a shelter. I've had him for little over 1yr. He won't stop peeing in the house. I never see him do it but I find it. I don't think he does it while I'm home. He never poops in the house but he lifts his leg on things. I've never had a male dog...

Dog Poop on Lawns/Shrubbery Beds [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a residential community where people just simply refuse to pick up after their dogs. So my lawn, from time to time, has some dog poop on it. Is there some product that will repel the dogs so they stay away from my lawn + shrubs - yet, won't harm them or the lawn/shrubs + not need to...

Dog Poop "Schedule" [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again, Yet another pooping question... my dog (year old lab mix) always has to poop A LOT in the morning. Sometimes he squats 3-5 times! Is this normal? The poop is relatively normal looking--I was also the person asking questions about the Nutro food. You said this can produce large, loose...

View more questions Search