Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dinahdeede Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Can a non violent convicted felon get a passport to enter canada and leave
    I am wanting to go to canada to meet friends for a few weeks and I am a convicted felon with non violent charges... I am not on any type of probation or parole...

Thank you
    Dinah
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2009, 08:21 AM
    A passport is a Federal ID - almost anyone can get a passport. The question is whether you can enter Canada - not whether you can leave. Countries don't care if non-citizens leave; they only care if non-citizens enter

"Most people assume, without question, that just about anyone can enter Canada. This is not true. The Canadian Customs and Immigration Officers have ultimate authority to permit and deny anyone entry to Canada. No one has an automatic right to enter Canada. However, most people if they have no criminal record are allowed entry. What if you have a criminal conviction? To begin, in Canada a DUI is a felony and therefore an excludable offense under the Immigration Act. A DUI is an indictable offense in Canada that may be punished by imprisonment for up to a 5 year term. Anyone with a conviction in the United States that is treated as a felony or indictable offense in Canada is excludable from Canada, but even if the offense is not a felony or indictable offense in Canada, Customs and Immigration Officers have ultimate authority to permit and deny entry to Canada. Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanor drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence (assault IV), shoplifting, theft, etc) can make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of when they occurred. For this reason, it is not recommended that persons with past convictions attempt to enter Canada without first obtaining necessary documents. It is always the final decision of officers at ports of entry to decide whether a person should be allowed into Canada."

Traveling to Canada
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 01:34 PM

Exactly correct, if you have a criminal record it's best to check with a Canadian embassy in the US before you plan to travel. If they say you cannot enter Canada because of your criminal record you can apply for "rehabilitation" basically applying to enter Canada despite the criminal record. The link below expalins how to file this special application.

Overcoming criminal inadmissibility
    wildthing69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Thanks and GREAT advice for anyone with a problem in their past.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Passport for convicted felon [ 3 Answers ]

Can a convicted felon get a passport?

Passport for a convicted felon [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé and I want to get married on a cruise ship in apr of '08. Since the laws have changed we have to get passports. He is a convicted felon for dui/manslaughter. It has been almost 6yrs since the accident. Can he get a passport? If so do we apply as normal or are there other steps that should...

Convicted Felon wanting to enter Australia! [ 1 Answers ]

I am a convicted felon who served 9 months for drug trafficking and possession of controlled substance... I'm wanting to visit my fiancée in Australia, what would I have to do to enter? Will I still be able to visit? Pretty much wanting to know anything and everything that I would have to do to get...

Convicted felon in US trying to get in Canada [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who needs to go to Canada on a work assignment. He has been convicted of a felony. This happened a long time ago. Does Canada law dictate that once they have a convicted felony- they can NEVER be admitted into Canada again - OR- are there exceptions? If so- what are they- and...

Can a convicted felon get into canada? [ 1 Answers ]

He already has a passport it may have to be renewed and he got it after he was convicted he had went to the Bahamma's with no problem... but can he drive in with his family or does he have to fly ?:confused:

View more questions Search