Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    routerhelp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Why can't I access this specific site?
    I used to be able to access a certain website with no problem, but suddenly I cannot get to it, by typing it, going to my favorites, or googling it and clicking the link. It is not blocked by my XP firewalls or IE. It is in my trusted sites, but still when I try to access it the computer acts as if the site does not exist. My friend, who works with computers, tried to see if I could access it via his domain name and I could, so he said that somehow my router is causing the site to not come up. Is there any way to get my router to allow this site? The site is Witches' Voice Inc. - 08 July, 2009 - 9:18:58 PM and I could access it with ease before this started, a bit over a year ago. I tried clearing the cache, temporary files, everything. It seems that it is the router doing something strange. I use a laptop that is connected to a wireless router, brand Netgear. Any ideas?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 06:28 PM

Did you put any blocks on your computer?
    I know when I tried the parental block when my kids were little it blocked other sites as well.
    Were you a member on the site and got banned?

I don't know why the router would block the page from your computer.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 07:47 PM

You can try and use a proxy site

Jul 8, 2009, 08:01 PM
    I unplugged the router, waited a minute, and plugged it back in, and the site came up, but once I clicked a link on the site it disappeared again, and when I tried to go back to the homepage it was gone. What's a proxy site?
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 08:20 PM

Are you using an antivirus software?

Some will block sites unless you add them to a 'safe zone' or 'white list'

Jul 9, 2009, 07:58 AM
    It's not being blocked by any antivirus programs on my computer. All laptops connected to our wireless router cannot access the website. I don't understand why it worked when I first unplugged the router, then immediately stopped working again. :confused:
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 08:19 AM

You mentioned that you are using IE, have you tried Firefox to see if the same thing happens?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Is it possible the site has blocked you?

Jul 10, 2009, 06:22 AM

I wasn't blocked, I don't really post comments and my essays were approved and published, and I installed Firefox, still doesn't work.
    meraj_khateeb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Try using softwares named Ultrasurf or Freegate...
    These softwares unblocks all sites which are blocked by the router...
    I hope this would solve your problem...
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 08:44 AM

Go to this link and enter where you want to go and you should be able to access the site
    CHZ Proxy

Jul 10, 2009, 07:35 PM

Hey, proxy site worked! Thanks!
    megamanhood Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2009, 02:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by routerhelp View Post
    I unplugged the router, waited a minute, and plugged it back in, and the site came up, but once I clicked a link on the site it disappeared again, and when I tried to go back to the homepage it was gone. What's a proxy site?
    I guess the site came up because it was probably cached in the browser you are using. It disappeared when you clicked on a new link. This is because the browser went to fetch new contents from the site. If so, it seems that your internet connection is unable to reach the specific site.

Please review the following step by step diagnostic:

1) Are you able to surf other websites?

If yes -> Your internet connect is working and you should have no problems reaching majority of the internet sites

If no -> Your internet connect is the problem. You didn't mention if you are using a wired or wireless connection. In either case, try plugging your computer directly to the router and see if it resolves the issue.

2) If you are able to surf other websites but specially not able to go to Witches' Voice Inc. - 12 July, 2009 - 5:32:18 AM. Is this the case?

If yes -> it seems that your internet connection is not able to reach the specific site, probably due to some DNS (Domain Name Server) settings. Every website requires a specific address in the internet, the DNS resolves this for us i.e. we just need to type in Google instead of the fix address because the DNS service resolves this for us automatically.

Now test the following, open a command prompt window and type in "ping www.witchvox.com" and see the response. If it says "Destination Host Unreachable" or "Request Time Out", it is very likely your DNS is the problem.

If you are connected to a router, the DNS setting is likely set to automatic, you will have to call your ISP and ask specifically for the correct address for DNS.

Alternatively, use Google to search for know DNS addresses. Then, open your network connection settings and entered them manually. That should resolve it.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I access a certain site ? [ 1 Answers ]

Anybody ever go to Yahoo answers ? When ever I go there an illegal operation sign pops up & closes it out. Anyone have any ideas why ? I should also mention that I'm using a 2000 HP with windows 98 that hasn't been refurbished since 2000.

Specific site to get rid of [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get rid of this annoying site that has popped up recently and comes up each time I go onto the Internet. Rightonadz.biz/bc/123kah.php Thanks

Not able to access Adobe site [ 12 Answers ]

Hello I am wanting to download acrobate reader inorder to read pdf files when I try to go to the adobe site it tells me can not find server, but if I try to access the site from another PC it goes to the page with no problem. I am using windows 98 SE. Please help. Thank You CL

Web-site access [ 7 Answers ]

Hi folks, I am having a problem accessing a particular web-site. I can access the site for several consecutive days and then for no apparent reason I cannot pull the site up for several days. I don't believe it is a problem with the site as I was able to pull it up just a couple hours earlier...

View more questions Search