Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2009, 02:44 PM
    Does my insurance cover my rental property if the renters have bulldogs thanks
    I have some rental properties and the renters has bulldogs does it cover it or do I need special insurance
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 02:45 PM

You really need to check with your insurance company because not only do some insurance companies refuse to cover what they call dangerous breeds some states even have a ban on them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 8, 2009, 02:51 PM

If you have insurance covering your properties, it may or may not cover such things. Only your agent can tell you for sure.

You can require that the tenants have renters insurance.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 06:53 PM

What are you wanting your insurance company to protect you from, dog bites to people or dog damage to the home. A big different between a bull dog and a pitbull. Bull dogs are not particularly dangerous.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:58 PM

Here is an article I found on getting home owner insurance and having a dog.
    Dogs and Homeowners Insurance Is Fido Causing Your Premium to Increase?
    You really need to ask your landlord and take it from there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 07:27 PM

Well most bull dogs are lovable, and I don't believe are on any banned list.

But policies vary greatly, so you will have to ask your agent and review your policy. Many may not cover, animals, pools and other items. That is why many landlords do not allow animals, and pools.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2009, 07:33 PM

Here is some of what the link says

Did you know that your pooch could affect your homeowners insurance rate? You may have the most loveable dog in the world whose attack method of choice is to lick someone to death, however, your insurance company looks at Fido differently. Homeowner insurance companies are not very enthusiastic about insuring certain breeds of dogs and as a result, you may pay more for your policy.

Contact the insurance department of your state. They will provide you with a listing of all insurance companies licensed to provide homeowners insurance in your state. Once you have the list, you can contact each (or as many as you deem necessary) to find out their stance on dog ownership. If you find the insurance company's stance too harsh on the topic of dogs, you may contact the insurance department to confirm and/or report the insurance company's stance and to make sure it is not in violation of the law.

If it is not against the law and you find it unfair, contact your state representative. If your state is not one of those with pending legislation, chances are you may need to champion the cause for homeowners and dogs.

Obedience: If your dog has completed obedience training and is certified, submit that information to your insurance company. It may server to loosen the tight grip of the rate.

***bull dogs aren't listed on the site as the more aggressive breeds
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2009, 07:16 AM

As a landlord, you can require that they have renter's insurance; not just because of the dogs but because in general it's good practice to require the tenants carry their own insurance.

You also have the right to refuse to allow dogs on the property or certain breeds even. Bulldogs are not a particularly aggressive breed but truth is, any dog can pose a bite risk because that is their innate nature. Basically, dogs are wild animals that have been domesticated over time.

In general, a policy for a rental dwelling covers you for liability. So if negligence on your part resulted in damages/injuries, the victim could potentially sue you. In today's society we have to cover ourselves from all angles so that's why I'd recommend requiring renter's insurance and possibly restricting them from having dogs.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 07:20 AM

Yep most landlords say tenant is responsible for any damages.
    Where I live it is really really hard to find rental places that allow animals other than birds and fish.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 11, 2009, 07:42 AM

Flair, you have 8 responses and you have not returned to add more info. Areyou asking about insurance to cover damages or liability insurance?
    JEPLAX Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 06:57 PM

Check your insurance contract & discuss with your agent.

I recommend that your renter's contract include a "Hold Harmless" clause that deflects liability away from you to the renters for their acts, unless you are negligent or personally responsible for the actions on your rental property that result in a law suit directed at you.

Also, I recommend a rental agreement that requires renters to purchase and keep renter's insurance in force during the term of their contract. This insurance should list you as an "Additional Insured" and your contract should require proof that you are an Additional Insured by having the agent or insurer issue to you a Certificate of Insurance that notes this. This will ensure that if you are brought into a law suit because of actions of your renters that their insurer will step in and defend you and them, at the insurer's expense.

These 2 measures should cover you, but the law and juries are crazy sometimes. Best to make preventive measures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renters insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Please advise, We had a small grease fire in our apartment while cooking. The sprinkler system went off and the carpet had to be replaced along with some minor painting and replacing of the microwave above the stove. The apartment complex would like me to pay for damages because my renters...

Does Renters Insurance Pay for dent/broken windshield [ 5 Answers ]

My Wife and I moved into an apartment complex last fall and there are softball/soccer fields behind our building. Our 2 story building runs parallel with the 3rd base foul line. Recently softball season started and about every night 1 softball goes foul and hits the roof of our building. Sometimes...

I have renters insurance but. [ 3 Answers ]

I have renters insurance. I moved about 15 miles down the way to a new apartment. My TV, Surround sound, and TV table/stand were broken/loss of value. Would that normally be covered? I'm in the military and definitely don't have the cash to pay for any of these items/repair them. What to do? ...

Is renters insurance necessary? [ 7 Answers ]

Moving out into an apartment for the first time. Do I need renters insurance? And where should I look for it? How much is reasonable? How much is reasonable? Is there a certain kind of renters insurance I should get?

Rules of Homeowner Insurance verses Rental Property [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding a multi dwelling property. I bought a house as a homeowner, that has two apartments in the house, besides the main house. I have rented out the apartments, but I have a room in the main house, and a roommate. As well, I have all the utilities, heating, cable,...

View more questions Search