Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Oct 15, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Honeywell Thermostat Went Insane
    I have a Honeywell Chromotherm III programmable thermostat (probably 10 years old) that controls my heat pump. Since the temperatures in Phoenix have become moderate, the thermostat was in the off position. Yesterday I left the house in the morning and returned about 6 PM. The temperature in the house was in the mid 90s with heat coming from the ducts. I was unable to shut the heat off with the temperature control. I turned off the breaker to stop the heat. A short time later I turned on the breaker and put the thermostat in the cool setting, and the A/C came on. Once the temperature had come down I turned off the breaker. Has anyone ever heard of a thermostat turning on the heat when it is in the off position. I assume that the thermostat has become senile and should be replaced.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2006, 06:46 PM
    About half of the calls I get where the people ore blaming the thermostat it turns out not to be something with the thermostat but something in either the furnace or the AC.
    You surely you tried the furnace after the temp had come down to see if it was going to work, yet you don't even mention trying the heat after you turned off the breaker the first time. If you want some help you have to so a little testing to find out what is causing the problem. For instance if you turn the furnace on again and it will not turn off, disconnect the red wire from the thermostat sub base and see if the furnace turns off, if is does not it sounds like you may have a wire shorted out somewhere between the circuit board and the thermostat. Let us know what happens.

Oct 15, 2006, 07:24 PM
    After getting your response, I turned on the breaker and the HP came on at once. I think it was still in A/C mode. I didn't want to switch back and forth from cool to heat, because that is probably not good for the HP. I will have to find the book for the thermostat to find the pinch point to separate it from the base, without breaking it. When you mentioned a short, were you referring to the thermostat/base, or the HP? The thing that puzzles me is to have an electrical device do things on its own when it is turned off.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2006, 07:48 PM
    A heat pump can go into a defrost mode and if it does and you have a wiring problem is can cause the system to do some crazy stuff.

Oct 15, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Tomorrow in the light of day I will pull the thermostat from the base. That should remove the TS from the circuit and the HP should stop if the problem is in the TS; correct? If that fails, I will disconnect the red (24v power supply from HP transformer) wire from the base, which would eliminate any wiring problem from HP to TS; correct? If the HP continues to run then that would indicate a problem in the HP? Thanks for your assistance.

Oct 16, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Today I pulled the TS from its base and turned on the breaker to the HP; it started to run. After shutting off the breaker I disconnected the red wire from the TS base; turned on the breaker and the HP started up; turned off breaker. Would I be correct in assuming that some relay etc in the HP is stuck in a closed position? At the start of summer an A/C tech replaced a relay and redid the TS wiring to the HP that had become frayed as preventative measures. At this point is it time to call the A/C guy back, or is there anything more that I can do?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Sound like a possible stuck contactor. You'll prob, have to call a pro. Mosat wharehouses don't sell these parts to the general public
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2006, 08:46 PM
    One last thing... disconnect the two wires that come from the HP to the air handler, they should ce connected to a circuit board at the air handler or furnace which ever you have. One will be on the C, Cor common terminal and the other will be on the Y terminal. This should stop all low voltage from getting to the HP. If it then continues then you will know that the problem is in the low voltage system in the HP itself.
    randilee1980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 07:57 AM
    Last night I had my a/c on an woke up my heat had kicked on tried to mess with my thermostat but it kept acting crazy couldn't fix it even changed the batteries in the face of the thermostat still didn't work its going crazy don't know what to do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell thermostat [ 11 Answers ]

I installed a Honeywell CT87A 4447 thermostat this summer. It worked fine with my air conditioning, but I am having a problem with it controlling my furnace. It will turn the furnace on and I can turn the fan on manually, but when set to auto the fan does not come on. The thermostat has the...

Honeywell RTH230B thermostat [ 39 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat. The existing wires are Yellow, Green, Red and Black The ports available in the new system are W, Y, G and the Rc and Rh terminals are jumpered. Which wire do I put in the W port? (Red or Black), then what do I do with the one that is not...

Please Help w/Replacing Honeywell Thermostat... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I've just removed my Honeywell Thermostat and am trying to replace it with a Noma programmable tstat... but am having problems with the wiring. There are 5 wires coming out of the wall - Green, Black, Orange, Red and White, and only 4 posts on the Noma tstat (Green, Red, Yellow and White). ...

HoneyWell Thermostat Miracle [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a home that was built back in the 1960s. I am thinking this furnace is probably the original (LOL) My wife and I decided to re-texture and repaint the walls in our living room just two weekends ago. After painting the walls white, that gold colored thermostat stood out like a soar...

Honeywell Thermostat RTH230B [ 14 Answers ]

I have 6 wires to connect. The colors are as follows: W, Y, G, B, O, and R. The thermostat calls for W, G, Y, Rc, and Rh. Where do I plug in the R and what do I do with the B and O? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

View more questions Search