Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Styrofoam as insulation?
    Can styrofoam be used as insulation? A coworker is building a house and asked if I would find out for him. I guess this styrofoam was originally used in packaging around exercise equipment. He wants to break it up and put it in the walls or ceiling.

Thanks guys!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 09:19 AM

Styrofoam® brand insulation (closed-cell polystyrene foam) is commonly used in construction as insulation. If you break up some pieces and put it into a wall, it won't be as effective as the solid board because you've eliminated the "closed cells". Air will be able to move through the pieces.

The other reason not to use it is that it may be too flammable for use inside walls. I'm not sure if building codes allow it. I do understand the flammability of polystyrene foam, and it's a real concern.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 09:24 AM

That's kind of what we thought. Just thought we'd get a second opinion.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:45 PM

Urethane insulation basically replaced Styrofoam insul and has better (R) value the fiberglass inch per inch,

This may help you..

What is insulation R value? | Insulation | Insulation Info

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulation pkg [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find insulation pkg for a coleman furnace?It goes on the three sides of the wall and on the front panel

New insulation over old atic insulation [ 1 Answers ]

Presently there are three layers of aluminum with air spaces. Can I put bats directly over this insulation and what do I have to be concerned about.

Styrofoam product to remove varnish [ 4 Answers ]

I had 2 black styrofoam bricks that work terrific for removing varnish from furniture the trouble is that in the process of removing the varnish the bricks wear down quickly. They were given to me to use for this but the man that gave them to me died and now I can't find them anywhere. Does anyone...

Insulation [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of Massachusetts,so it very cold here.when I take the old window out and the weight of the window what type of insulation should I put in the gap inside. Thanks

Insulation [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering what the pros and cons are to putting insulation on the ceiling of a basement. The reason for my asking is someone has told me that it isn't wise because cold air doesn't rise anyways(I already knew that) and you would cut any heat off coming from the boiler and water heater that...

View more questions Search