Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kohoutek Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Jul 8, 2009, 06:42 AM
    What are some good phrases to get somebody to remove libellous comments from the net?
    My husband was involved in an accident during a cycling race the other day. He spent the afternoon in A&E and has 8 stitches in his leg.
    Everybody who was involved in the race and saw it happen said it wasn't his fault and there was nothing he could have done to avoid it. Even people who didn't see it happen said that he was at the front, so by the laws of physics had to have been taken out from behind - in which case how could it have been his fault..

Now, I know that sports come with dangers, and I expect my husband to have scars and scabs etc, but a rider who wasn't *in* the race, has come online posting on Facebook and cycling forums that he's seen photos of the race, my husband was to blame and he should be sued! This is ridiculous because a) nobody sues over bike races and b) nobody agrees with this other rider. He's only 19 and he's just being gobby but it's really getting to me.

Are there any important sounding phrases I can email to him about internet libel etc to make him shut up and remove his comments? I'm in the UK so would need references regarding British law. I wouldn't actually sue him because he's just a mouthy child, but he really needs to be scared into stopping spreading rumours across the internet (especially as nobody has *seen* these photos he claims are so incriminating other than him).

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2009, 07:39 AM

Hello K:

He's entitled to his opinion. He saw things one way. You saw them another. He has not libeled you or your husband. He has not lied. He has an opinion, and a forum to post it on. That's not illegal.

If you start threatening him, that MIGHT be illegal.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Algebraic phrases [ 3 Answers ]

The product of a number and 2 is 20 less than the product of the number and -3 What is the number?? :confused:

Will a full reboot remove a virus for good? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, firstly I'm loving this site, it's a godsend! Now down to my problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop. The problem is it freezes up all the time and mainly after I'd gone on the internet. Sometimes it will load up and I'll get 10 minutes on the net, then others it won't given let me...

Verb Phrases [ 1 Answers ]

Forms of verb phrases involve the following concepts. Explain and give examples of the following. 1.Futurity 2.Aspect (there are two) 3.Conditional 4.Voice

Some new Russian phrases [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't taken any Russian classes, yet. But I have been doing some online studies, and have a Russian friend who has taught me much. I know the alphabet and how to read cyrillic, just not what it all means! Anyway, I know the basic phrases (i.e. da, nyet, privet, da svidanya, spasibo,...

Can I remove my name from a mortgage I signed in good faith with witness's [ 5 Answers ]

Is it possible to remove my name from a mortgage which is solely in my name. I signed the mortgage for a good friend who stated he would make the payments. He in turn was to remortgage the property within 8 months. Naturally he paid for the first 5 months then stopped paying and never...

View more questions Search