Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmoran333 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2004, 06:54 PM
    Defragmenting
    I can not defrag my files.
    It keeps saying that there are some files that can not be defragmented.
    Ehat can I do ?
    Thank you.
    Marlene
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Jan 18, 2005, 08:27 PM
    Help
    Try some of the things below, get the free Diskeeper lite, see how it works, on those files, also download the free demo of perfect disk and see how these 2 work for you, then also do some of the things listed with some of these programs.

For Spyware protection and general help cleaning up the computer and registry I recommend,

The following files, as I have found 1 or even 2 is not always enough, as 1 may find

Something the others do not, so protect yourself with several programs, if may be a pain,

But a needed one.

Spyware
    Microsoft New SPyware program-Formerly Giant spyware, they bought it out.
    Spysweeper
    Spybot search and destroy
    Adware SE
    Aluria's Spyware Eliminator
    Spyhunter
    &
    Spyware Blaster, this one prevents certain items, before they are even installed, it does

Not clean.

I would suggest at the very least 3 or more of the above programs.

Registry and Fix and Repair programs
    Fix it Utilities 5 this one has an excellent Scandisk, better than the one with your OS
    Advanced System Optimizer
    Ace Utilities
    System Mechanic 5

Any 2 or more of these.

And download the Google toolbar with built in pop up stopper for your browser is good.

And a good solid Anti Virus Program or 2, updated weekly.
    PC-Cillin
    AVG Anti Virus
    Bitdefender
    Etrust EZ Anti virus

I would suggest using 2 of these.

A good defragging Program or 2
    Diskeeper Lite
    Perfect Disk.

Also run from Start/run type in chkdsk then let that run then type in chkdsk /f to help fix

WinXP errors.

Also use the below website, that tests and reviews some for the best programs out for many

Different things, they give you side by side comparisons and rate each one in many

Categories.
    http://www.toptenreviews.com/
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2005, 05:51 AM
    Also try hitting CTRL+AlT+DEL and closing down as many processes as you can. You want as little as possible running when you defragment your drives as any files that are currently being read/used will not be included in the defrag.

A good defrag program I used is O&O Defrag. It will reboot your PC and defragment it before Windows completely loads. This means that hardly any processes will be running, making the defrag more effective. There's a trial offer on their site I believe.
    dswwi5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2005, 12:01 PM
    Defrag
    IIf it continues the defrag and does not do some spaces.. Don't worry about it... If nothing elseis wrong... Forget about, it... You could have worst problems.

Senior PC trainer..
    Boston, MA
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2005, 12:16 PM
    Most of the time those spots that can't be defraged are needed to run the system. I've gotten as far in 98se to close all but explorer and the defrag program itself :D to run right. Its not a problem its just spots that can't be fragged. Also run scandisk on full scan not the quick and repair any errors you might have first.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 21, 2005, 11:10 PM
    LTheoBald's answer was the one that is going to give you the most success. Files that won't defrag are because they are in use. Shut down as much as possible before defragging.
    If you are using the windows defragger, I do recommend you get a different program. Some other members here mentioned some good ones.

Good luck
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2005, 06:51 AM
    Defrag
    Hi, Marlene,

Since you did not say what version of windows you have, like XP, 98, ME, it is hard to give step by step instructions on the best way to run Defrag.

So, try running the Defrag in Safe Mode.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    PS; Windows Defrag has always worked just fine for me and others; without having to use a different program than Microsoft Defrag.
    If Defrag doesn't run, it means something else is wrong.; not the Defrag itself.
    Did you run Scandisk first? If you have it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Defragmenting [ 3 Answers ]

Hi No one answered my question on constant freezing. Actually the computer has been fine for the past week but I keep closing McAfee and using AVG 6. It would be great if u'd told me if it's OK to have two virus detecters at the same time or not. Anyway, I've been trying to run Disk Cleanup Scan...

View more questions Search