Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 7, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Phantom Share
    I just want to throw this out there in case someone has run into it before:

I have a Windows XP SP3 box I often do backups to using Acronis True Image. When using Acronis there appears a "Could" share in the networking tree for the XP machine, as well as all the intended shares. The "Could" share isn't accessible with any account credentials of the XP machine. I've also checked the XP machine with Computer management and both "NET VIEW" and "NET SHARE" commands which don't list a "Could" share. This "Could" share has only appeared within the last month or two and could be related to an Acronis Update or a SP3 installation on the XP machine.

:confused:
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jul 8, 2009, 07:18 AM

This can happen when a folder that is shared has been deleted before properly removing the share. I have seen this with programs that create shares are uninstalled and do not properly cleanup the old share or do not have permissions that once existed to remove the share.

Take a look in your registry at the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\Shares

Look for the phantom share name and the physical path associated with it. Create this folder and reboot your computer. Allow the share to be properly setup during reboot and then go and remove the share and then delete the folder.

Your past entries in the System Event Log will have an error during the reboot that will also point to the share not being found.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    This can happen when a folder that is shared has been deleted before properly removing the share...
    Thanks for your response. That scenario didn't occur to me. However, the phantom share isn't listed at that registry key. All the entries are for valid existing shares. I also searched the registry for the share name "Could" without finding any entries except for error message strings containing the word.

Next I think I'll point Acronis at another machine with a duplicate share setup and see if the phantom share shows up in the list and also run it by Acronis support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phantom of the Opera [ 12 Answers ]

Hello out there, I just watched Phantom of the Opera, the new one that came out, and I thought it was beautiful yet I was very confused on what was going on. The guy in the beginning(the old guy) shows up in random places in the movie and at the end he places the flower on Chrisitne's tomb right...

Phantom of the Opera [ 4 Answers ]

In phantom of the opera (2004)... I know christine loves both men... but at the ending climax... when she does kiss the phantom... she really does love him... and is truly mesmorized by his music, seduction, and all around mysteriousness... Would she have stayed with him if he didn't break down......

Phantom of the Opera [ 3 Answers ]

Does someone know for how much tickets to the show cost? And, does anyone know what other groups sing Opera with rock? I heard of Nightwish and I'd like to know if there are others. Thanks a lot.

View more questions Search