jimlumpkin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2009, 05:59 AM
    How do I pressure test a gas line
    How do I pressure test a gas line
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 7, 2009, 06:13 AM
    How to Set Up a Gas Pressure Test
    1. Disconnect all gas appliances and the meter if it is still in place by disconnecting the flex line from the hard pipe. (Do not merely turn off the valve. The test will not hold and may ruin the valve.)
    2. Put hard caps at all the ends of the hard pipe except one. (Use pipe joint compound.)
    3. At the open end of the pipe, install the pressure gauge. If there is only a female fitting, you wall need to use a nipple. Use pipe joint compound. Make sure the gauge ends up on top, readily visible.
    4. Attach a bicycle pump (or compressor) and pump gauge to a minimum of 10 lbs. of pressure. It must hold for a minimum of 15 minutes, without any perceptible drop in pressure.
    5. If it does not hold, test all joints by brushing soapy water on them. Start with end caps and joints at pressure gauge.
    6. When gauge holds for 15 minutes, call for inspection. (You must have a permit prior to the inspector coming to your location to inspect.)
    7. The inspector will verify that the pressure is holding, tag the gas line.
    NOTE: The pressure gauge must remain on the gas pipe, holding pressure, during the inspection and must be under test prior to the inspector's arrival.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    How to Set Up a Gas Pressure Test
    1. Disconnect all gas appliances and the meter if it is still in place by disconnecting the flex line from the hard pipe. (Do not merely turn off the valve. The test will not hold and may ruin the valve.)
    If testing where the UPC is applicable, you must test through the valve/gas cock.

I usually just put a plug or nipple and cap in the end of the valve/gas cock.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propane/Gas Line pressure test [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Just found this forum, thanks all for creating! I have constructed an outdoor BBQ/Kitchen and I located a 100lb propane tank approx. 50 pipe feet from the point of use. I ran 1/2" black pipe with approx. 15 fittings. I pressure tested as per a plumbers advice with 15lbs of air for 15...

Gas line on test [ 2 Answers ]

Hello do you know how long we have to keep on test and how much pressure in gas line for inspection

How do I pressure test a new gas line in home? [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new gas line (Black iron) for propane boiler and I would like to pressure test. What's the best way to do this... what psi and for how long?

Gas line test - acceptable pressure drop after 15 min [ 3 Answers ]

Similar question to others re: gas line tests: When the system is pressurized to at least 10 lbs and holds for 15 minutes (meeting the code required test criteria) but than starts to lose pressure at about 1lb./hr, is it common practice for professional installers to locate the sources of those...

Gas line pressure test [ 4 Answers ]

I hate to be redundant on my first question here but I'm in a bit of a delimma. I have installed a black iron propane gas system in the house I am building by myself. (Retired and needed something to do and place to live) My propane supplier guy loaned me a gauge that you screw onto the end of the...

View more questions Search