Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sendinfo2me Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 09:34 AM
    How to tunnel under sidewalk
    We need to divert rain water from around the foundation of our home. We had a gutter system put on the roof line of our home, but the gutters down spouts still dump the rainwater around the foundation of the house.

We want to divert the water through pipes further away from the house. One especially bad area has a sidewalk and we need to tunnel under the sidewalk to get the water away from the house.

We need advise on how to tunnel under the sidewalk without damaging it and installing a pipe to drain the water from the down spout away from the house.

Thanks so much!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 12:29 PM

It is a bit more involved than you might think. You need to dig a work hole on each side so you can step down inside the hole below the bottom of the sidewalk. The sidewalk is normally laid in several inches of gravel and you can use a sledge hammer to drive a large iron pipe through the gravel. You may need to do this several times to get the space large enough for your drain pipe. Do not worry about the concrete breaking from this, it can take it. Remember that this low spot under the sidewalk can not be lower than the rest of the drain pipe, it must continue to slope away from the home.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:24 PM

Just to add to Bal good advice
    Remember that this low spot under the sidewalk can not be lower than the rest of the drain pipe, it must continue to slope away from the home
    To calculate that slope to see if this is feasible no less then a 1/2"" fall per foot for proper drainage. Normally fall for walks are set at 1/4" per ft. And so is plumbing. Don't know what your GEO is but the water in the pipe could freeze if the slope is not a fast drainer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On the sidewalk bleeding [ 1 Answers ]

What is the theme of "On the sidewalk bleeding"?

How do you bore under a concrete sidewalk? [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to bore underneath a concrete sidewalk? This is a "standard" looking sidewalk, I guess 4" thick and about 30-36" wide. (Yes I forgot to measure) I need to run a 4" black corrugated drain pipe underneath the sidewalk for a gutter downspout runoff. I've heard you bang a...

Who to contact to build a sidewalk [ 3 Answers ]

The street that I used to live on doesn't have sidewalks on either side of the street. This street leads to a very upscale apartment complex then down hill to a residentinal neighborhood. There is no sidewalk until you get to the apartments, and then that's only on one side of the street. Anyone...

3-D sidewalk chalk art [ 4 Answers ]

Sorry; not a question, but check out some of these incredible 3-d sidewalk chalk drawings: http://users.skynet.be/J.Beever/pave.htm .

View more questions Search