Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 09:28 AM
    Excel - aligning data based on a common value.
    I have 2 lists of data.

List A contains 2 columns - Lead ID (column A) & Email ID (column B). This list contains 3,175 rows.

List B contains 2 columns - Email ID (column A) & Email Address (column B). This list only contains 3,085 rows.

I need to match up the Lead ID with the Email Addresses based on the similar values of the Email ID.

It was almost perfectly easy until there are 90 rows missing from the second list and I don't know how to sift out that rows.

Any ideas?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 6, 2009, 10:39 AM

Use a VLookup()
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 10:54 AM

Let's assume List A is on Sheet1. List B is on Sheet2.

On Sheet1 in column C, starting at C2 try this:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2, Sheet2!A:A, 0)), INDEX(Sheet2!B:B, MATCH(B2, Sheet2!A:A, 0)), "No Match")

VLOOKUP does work, too, and might be easier to understand, but INDEX/MATCH is more robust and may perform better over huge datasets.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:21 AM

I don't know how to use vlookup yet.

The ID #s are alphanumeric... could that be why the 2nd solution doesn't seem to be working?
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:32 AM

Trying vlookup... I have it set up like this:

|_____Sheet1_______|
    |___A____|_____B___|
    |_Lead ID_|_Email ID_|

|__________________________Sheet2_________________ _______________|
    |___A____|_____B_____|___________________C________ _______________|
    |_Email ID_|___Email___|_=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$B$2:$B$3157,S heet1!A2)__|

I was hoping Sheet2 Column C would return the lead ID from Sheet1 but its returning a #REF!
    Software Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 01:25 PM

Ok, you indicated your need backwards to me, and you can't use VLOOKUP at all to do this, and my formula just needs adjusting to be on the correct sheet.

On Sheet2 C2:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2, Sheet1!B:B, 0)), INDEX(Sheet1!A:A, MATCH(A2, Sheet1!B:B, 0)), "No Match")

Don't just paste in the formula and use it once it's working. Be sure to analyze each piece and understand what it's doing. INDEX/MATCH is the most robust function, in my opinion, and it's uses are FAR and WIDE.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire View Post
    Ok, you indicated your need backwards to me, and you can't use VLOOKUP at all to do this, and my formula just needs adjusting to be on the correct sheet.

On Sheet2 C2:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2, Sheet1!B:B, 0)), INDEX(Sheet1!A:A, MATCH(A2, Sheet1!B:B, 0)), "No Match")

Don't just paste in the formula and use it once it's working. Be sure to analyze each piece and understand what it's doing. INDEX/MATCH is the most robust function, in my opinion, and it's uses are FAR and WIDE.
    Awesome! That seems to have worked perfectly.

I love working in Excel and always want to know how things are working or how to use new formulas. I am not familiar with INDEX or MATCH so I will definitely be figuring them out.

Thank you very much :D
    Software Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 04:51 PM

VLOOKUP is the tool of choice for most people at first. It requires several partner tools, LOOKUP and HLOOKUP. It's simple to use once you understand it.

The problems are:
    1) It only does lookups to the RIGHT. This means you have rows of data, you must search in the first column and return a value from the columns to the right... ONLY.

You weren' t using it right, but this is what a normal VLOOKUP looks like:

=VLOOKUP(A2, Sheet2!A2:K100, 11, 0)

So, that formula find the value in A2 over on sheet2 in column A, then returned the value in the 11th column of the data range you described.

See, you can only look to the RIGHT.

2) It's a memory hog. If you have a huge dataset like the one in the example above, Excel reads into the memory the ENTIRE data set from A2:K100 to find the value wanted over in column K. What a waste.

3) It can't be used to deal with data in any other direction. Can't go left, and if you want to look for data in horizontal datasets, you have to switch to HLOOKUP. Ugh.

NOTE: With HLOOKUP, you similarly can only look DOWN, you can't look up for your wanted values.
    NOTE: You can use LOOKUP to look in either direction, but your data HAS to be sorted.

===========
    Now, with INDEX/MATCH, you can look in any direction... up,down,left,right with the same function, and you only have to read in the data needed.

Once you wrap your head around the INDEX/MATCH approach, you'll stop using VLOOKUPs altogether, I promise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Preparing charts using excel data [ 2 Answers ]

Please help me Whether there are any softwares available on the web to prepare detailed charts/graphs showing x and y axis using data stored in MS excel/XML spread sheet? The chart/graph so prepared must be available for detailed analysis and viewed on a full screen! Thanks in Advance!

Data cleansing in excel [ 1 Answers ]

Every day I get reports of more than thousand rows for data cleansing. In that report mainly we have to delete all the related records as per amount like +100 and -100 should be deleted. I have attached the sample report here for your reference.

Shortcut for entering data in Excel [ 2 Answers ]

I often work with data in scientific notation. Is there a shortcut for entering numbers using only the number section of the keyboard? (i.e. entering 1.7E+09 without using the ‘e’ character)

Web Based Games and Data Usage [ 3 Answers ]

Hello :) My question is about data usage on broadband.. My dad pays for our broadband and we had 12 giga bites of downloads each month, we kept going over this limit, so he changed to a plan that allows 20 giga bites per month. Now, we are close to reaching this limit and he is getting very...

View more questions Search