Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 07:43 AM
    Belly button piercing
    I had my belly button pierced twice. Both times it rejected.
    I love the look of it and want to get it done again. One shop told me its pointless if it rejected twice it will again. Another shop I called said they could go in deeper and use a different metal and I should be fine. But then again maybe she is looking to make a few bucks.
    What's true or not true? Would I be able to get it done again and have it be OK possibly?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 08:42 AM

I don't know BUT my personal experience is a cousin who was pierced (I think) 3 times, infected, had a terrible problem. Tech said it was an allergic reaction.

She then spent whatever it cost her to get a high grade gold "ornament" (or whatever it's called) and she didn't have a problem. Tech told her she's allergic to nickel.

Since that time she also has had problems if her earrings are not high grade gold. It's an allergy that just came on her!

(I'm too chicken to do a piercing PLUS I'm afraid of infection, having investigated a case where a girl ended up in the hospital for a period. I did get a tattoo, though, without any problems. Nothing to do with the question but thought I'd throw it out there.)
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Well I am not allergic I know that. I wear all types of metals. Just in case someone asks me.

BTW thanks Judy.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 09:04 AM

My cousin went through something that I think is similar. She can wear any type of earrings no problem. But her body rejected both of her belly button rings. So maybe your belly button is more sensitive to the metal? They told her it was an allergic reaction to the metal for both of her piercings too.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    my cousin went through something that i think is similar. she can wear any type of earrings no problem. but her body rejected both of her belly button rings. so maybe your belly button is more sensitive to the metal? they told her it was an allergic reaction to the metal for both of her piercings too.
    Did she get it done again? I didn't hurt while it was rejecting at all. But I hate to spend the money on a better metal and have it come out.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 09:53 AM

She got it done twice. Once on top, once on bottom. I don't remember if it hurt. She only tried the two times. The first time she thought it was just an infection and took it out and let it heal. When it happened the second time they said it was because she was allergic.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 10:08 AM

Its possible that a new metal may work. My daughter got her ears peirced at 2, and they got infected, then again at 3, once again infected, then at 4, then finally at 5 and they stayed. Each time I used a different metal until we finally got to titanium.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 10:12 AM

For my ears, when I was little I could only wear gold earrings. Then when I got older and got more ear piercings I was able to use icings "sensitive solution" earrings. Now I can wear anything for at least few days (before my ears would start hurting within an hour or so if it was the wrong kind of metal). Then when I got my belly button pierced I just got one of the cheaper ones the store offered (I think it might be stainless steal. I don't even remember) and I didn't have any problems with it.
    mugger Posts: 191, Reputation: 26

Jul 6, 2009, 10:23 AM

No one should ever be subjected to nickel in any type of jewelry. Nickel is poison and you are guaranteed to get a nasty infection. Some people can't take surgical steel, so gold would be a good option- just make sure it is real gold and not plated.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 10:59 AM
    OK here is the thing then. If I am not allergic to anything then it is possible my belly button is??
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:11 AM

Very possible hon :) allergic reactions to metals on your skin, is very different from reactions to the metal being pushed through your flesh. My daughter has no problem wearing necklaces or bracelets of ANY type of metal, but if you try to put anything in her ears other than titanium, she swells like a grape fruit.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    very possible hon :) allergic reactions to metals on your skin, is very diffrent from reactions to the metal being pushed thru your flesh. my daughter has no problem wearing necklaces or bracelets of ANY type of metal, but if you try to put anything in her ears other than titanium, she swells like a grape fruit.
    Hmm I never knew that!
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:22 AM

I can wear my gold wedding ring, but gold in my ears always makes them red. Its weird. My ears are completely healed from when I was 12. There is something about being inside your body that makes it different.
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Jul 6, 2009, 11:23 AM
    I was going to get mine done when I was young, but apparently, when you're under the age of around 14 or 15, your skin doesn't have enough elasticity, which will stop your body from pushing the jewel out. If I were you, I'd wait (If you're under about 14 or 15) and going in deeper will only cause it to scar up even worse. It also won't stop your body from rejecting it at all..
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LovesTheSun13 View Post
    I was going to get mine done when I was young, but apparently, when you're under the age of around 14 or 15, your skin doesn't have enough elasticity, which will stop your body from pushing the jewel out. If I were you, I'd wait (If you're under about 14 or 15) and going in deeper will only cause it to scar up even worse. It also won't stop your body from rejecting it at all..
    I am 36, so I am good and elastic! Lol
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Jul 6, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Oh! Than in that case.. it's probably allergies. I can't wear earrings in only one ear!
    babeygurl_08 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2009, 08:47 PM

Hey there, I have had the same problem as you ! My belly button ring rejected twice as well. And I have been told that I can get it redone by any piercer I went to, but I was told I have to make the scar tissue less noticeable by using vitamin E. But they say wait 1 year before even thinking about getting it repierced, and the piercer told me that metal has a lot to do with it , and she also said touching it with dirty hands , that's the worst thing you can do. Because your hands have a lot of bacteria, but you can do what I'm doing and that is , waiting another 6 months which will be my 1 year mark, since my last ring fell out, and then get it done with a gold barbell, and refrain from touching it and do not change it for the first 6 months. But best of luck !
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Thank you. For me its been like 5 years or more since the last time. I waited because I was always told not to do it. But I want to so badly. I think its so cute even though its not really in any more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Belly button piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I had my belly button pierced yesterday and I wondered how long do I have to wait before I can change my belly bar?::)

Belly Button piercing [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, well I got my belly pierced 5 days ago and I don't know if its infected.. its really red around the top and bottom... it hurts a little bit.. I don't know if its just irritated... to clean it I use bactine and a sterile saline solution... help me please! I can't tell if I should clean it...

Belly Button Piercing [ 6 Answers ]

I'm going to pierce my belly button soon and I'm going to do it with my best friend (who lives in a different city-- I'm going to do it when I go visit her) anyway, she says that she doesn't know any good piercing studios.. this might sound like a really stupid question but is it OK to pierce your...

Belly button piercing [ 4 Answers ]

How long would I have to stay out of the pool if I get my belly button done

View more questions Search