Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tanya oreilly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 10:28 AM
    Is my lease still legally binding?
    As of June 1 2006, my 1 year lease was up and I was to continue my rental agreement with a month to month lease following he fullfilment of this one year lease. As of July 1 2006 the rental property was taken over by a new property owner. I never signed any lease agreement with this new owner and he is trying to keep some of my security deposit for miscellaneous things that he says are a breach of my lease. Do this new owner and I have a lease because I signed one with the old owner can he just take the lease over without my signature and the new property owners signature on the old lease?
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 15, 2006, 11:27 AM
    I think that when the property is sold, the leases are sold too. The buyer has to uphold the agreement between the seller and the tenant. Read your lease. If you did breach the any terms of the lease, you may be held accountable.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Yes, when someone purchases a rental property they purchase the leases as well. Since you have a month to month lease that remains in force.

However, a security deposit is meant to serve as security that the tenant doesn't move out leaving damage to the unit and/or unpaid rent. I doubt if the new owner can appropriate any part of those funds while the lease is still in force. If they attempt to, they need to provide an itemized list of the charges.

Since you didn't indicate where you live, we can't check specific laws for your area. But there are "sticky" notes at the top of this forum that contain links to US state laws.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verbal Agreement- Binding or No? [ 6 Answers ]

I am in Ohio. I have a verbal agreement with someone. The agreement was that he would purchase some software and equipment for me, and that I would pay him back with a percentage of the proceeds of the small business I was starting. He became angry with me and now wants me to give him back his...

How I can get a friend out of her house legally? [ 6 Answers ]

Ok. My friend is living with her grandparents and they treat her like crap. They abuse her both emotionally and physically and she wants out. She is 16, and still in school. Is there a way I can get her out of the house with out getting in trouble? Please help me! Every time she tries to leave they...

How can I legally get out of a 6 month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

Dear folks, I moved out of my old house that I was currently residing in with my boyfriend of 5 yrs. We got back together a short while later (3month) and found a great little one bedroom. Anyhow, I have been living here for 2 months and already I can't stand it, I'm being emotionally abused. I...

Is this rental agreement still binding [ 5 Answers ]

My husband & I paid a Real Estate Agency to rent our home & collect the rent etc. for a fee. It was going smoothly until someone supposedly embezzled money from the company. The company went out of business. We were wondering if the renters are still obligated to pay us the same way they were...

Am I Going To Legally Responsible For Her Debts? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I've been hooked up with a lady for over 12 years now and we're beginning to talk marriage. Problem is that she has a huge backlog of bills and debts while I own my home clear, have no outstanding bills and have a AAA credit rating. Question; If we got married would I be responsible...

View more questions Search