Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Confused53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Well pressure tank too high pressure?
    The pressure switch on on well system started leaking recently so I replaced it. I noticed that both the old and new switch were clicking on and off fairly rapidly (every 10-15 seconds when a faucet open). Knocking on my pressure tank it sounded like it was full of water and I got zero air pressure on it.

I shut the pump down and drained the pressure tank and pressurized it to 38 lb (system has a 40-60 pressure switch). I checked the air pressure several times to confirm that 38 lb. reading.

Then I turned the pump power back on and everything seemed normal. I rechecked the air pressure and it was now 54.5 lb. I drained that down a bit to 51 before I decided I should ask here before doing anything further.

My question is, should I bleed the air pressure off until the pressure tank is at 38 lb. with the well powered on? Any idea why the big jump in the reading?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2009, 07:21 PM

The tank will only be at 38# when it has been drained. Once the system is turned on, the tank pressure will go up and down relative to the system pressure as indicated by your pressure gauge. So you should not adjust the pressure after setting it when drained as you did to begin with.

However, if this is a bladder tank, and it sounds like it is, then the fact that it was full of water is proof-positive that the bladder is ruptured. It will continue to operate OK for a few weeks until the air is dissolved and it's full of water again. Replacement is the proper course of action.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bigger pressure tank or increase pressure? [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a new home and the builder had installed a 20 gal pressure tank. I have a jet pump system where the motor sits directly on the tank itself. I really notice the pump running a bit,but also notice the loss of pressure quickly, especially in the shower. Now I was thinking of buying a much...

Loss of water pressure w/new pressure tank [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a question involving my plumbing. I was having terrible water pressure and I checked the pressure at the pump itself and it was great. Went to the pressure tank and it was trickling. Shut down power to pump and drained system - checked air pressure and it was not...

Deep well, pressure tank/switch not building pressure [ 13 Answers ]

The only way I have water pressure is to leave the power on! I have replaced the 5 gallon pressure tank (28psi when void of water)/fittings/pressure gauge and tried 3 new 30/50 pressure switches and the problem remains the same. With the power off, the pressure drops to 0 (not 30). When I...

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

Do you add 30 410a freon pressure like you do r22 and r12 for high side pressure in c [ 1 Answers ]

Do you have to add 30 to the ambeint air temp. like you do for r22 and r12 to R410a freon to get the proper high side pressure reading

View more questions Search