Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sis74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 08:37 AM
    The difference between stock price maximization & profit maximization?
    I was wondering if anyone could assist me in clarifying the difference between stock price maximizing and profit maximizing? Thank-You!
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Oct 23, 2006, 05:17 PM
    Sis,
    We may not be using the terms the same but here is my take on your question.
    Stock price maximizing = percentage increase in the price of a stock.
    Profit maximizing = percentage increase in the amount invested. Which would be stock price increase minus the cost of investing.
    Profit maximizing should be the goal. So you would try to reduce the cost of investing: trading costs and fees.

Hope this helps,
    Walter
    ssitikorn Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2006, 08:06 PM
    Sis,
    Before going to answer your problem. I need to distinguish the difference between the stock price and profit in terms of timing difference. Stock price incorporates every facet of what investor expect to see from his investment agent i.e. future investment opportunty, any incurred business constraints, government regulations to effect company's value, etc while profit focuses on what is realized explicitly from invested money which is shown in income statement. Logically, this two stuff is different in light of pre-post rationale.

Thus, stock price movement is strongly relied on market expectation on that stock. Any relevant incident either to boost up or dampen the value of company will be well-calulated and reflexed into the price. To maximize stock price, that company need to create a viable business to ensure the stability of future cash flows, any revenue enhancements and cost reductions will create value given that action will not negatively affect future cash flows.
    The cost reduction that won't or potentially undermine value is the reduction of project investments, innovations and risk management because those action will increase risk and lessen competitiveness.
    To maximize profit, the company can do it by maximizing revenue and minimized both operational cost and financial cost. Some measures to spur sales are extending the flavorable term of payment to customers (this will increase the accounts receivable), sales promotions, etc. while operational and financial cost reduction can be achieved by sophisicate capital budgeting and opimal cost of capital.
    raheellakhani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Comment on ssitikorn's post
    A

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Current Price of Stock [ 1 Answers ]

Did I answer this question correctly: The average firm in your company's industry grows at a constant rate of 6% and the dividend yield is 7%. Your company is about as risky as the average firm in the industry, however, due to recent innovations, earnings and dividends for the next two years,...

Stock provision and over valuation of stock [ 4 Answers ]

can anyone send me double entry for stock provision ? Provision amount is 200,000. further stock is over valued by 100,000 what will be the accounting entry for over valuation of stock. Early response will be of immmmmense help for me:o

Price of stock [ 1 Answers ]

What would you calculate the price to pay for a stock with 13% required rate of return, 4% rate of dividend growth, and an annual dividend of $2.50 which will be paid tomorrow?

Dating ans still married [ 8 Answers ]

My friends wife left him but then decided she wanted him back. He had already started seeing someone after she left. She is now trying to kill herself and threatening the girlfriend. He says that he loves the new girlfriend. Should he keep seeing the girlfriend or wait till the divorce to start...

View more questions Search