Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaw52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Casement Window replacement
    I need to know if it is necessary to remove my Hardie board siding to replace my vinyl windows? The windows were installed in new construction, then siding applied, there is no brick-mold. Is there a way to cut the siding to expose nailing flange. How do the experts do it the right way?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 08:56 AM

You use a reciprocating saw to cut between he sidng and the window. You cut right through the nailing flange leaving it under the siding. The new windows need to be replacement windows rather than new construction, they install differently.
    glassdoc Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jul 6, 2009, 03:17 PM

When replacing a vinyl window, the first question is do you plan to save the window? If so, you will have to get to the nailing fin. If you have trim that is 3 or more inches wide you can remove it, cut the siding about 2 inches from the window with a circular saw set to depth. Pull those pieces off, take out the nails, remove the window. Install the new one, nail the siding pieces back on, caulk and put the trim back on. If you don't have trim, consider adding it. Last resort, if you don't plan to save the window, just deglaze it (or take out the glass) and collapse the frame. Be sure to put on some protective gloves!

Taking out the glass is different with each window manufacturer and each series of window, so there is no easy answer for this. But there should be a strip of vinyl, either on the inside or the outside next to the glass, that you can pry out with a putty knife. Once this is accomplished, use a utility knife or a putty knife to cut the adhesive on the other side. Have someone help so that the glass doesn't fall out when the adhesive is cut.

After the glass is out, if the window you are removing is a single hung or double hung window, remove the cross member in the middle of the window by cutting in half with a hacksaw or recip. Saw and breaking off the two pieces. Then insert a small flat pry bar on the inside of the house between the edge of the window and the framed-in opening for the window (assuming you have removed the interior trim - if not be careful not to mar it up when prying against it - it will take some force). Pry in the middle of the longest piece that has no support. Once you get the nail fins broken loose you can cut the jamb section in two with a hacksaw or recip. Saw. Now just continue prying the window jambs little by little to get them all out.

Call Glass Doctor or other glass shops and get an estimate for the window, removal and installation. It may be worth it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement or repair of casement windows [ 18 Answers ]

Our house is in need of replacement or repair of several casement windows. I'm looking for information on quality contractors in the Wichita, Kansas area. If not specific contractors, things to look for in contractors. I am extremely suspicious about most contractors and it is very difficult to...

Replacement Window Cost [ 27 Answers ]

My wife and I are considering replacement windows for our house. I'm not interested in having every window company in the city calling us with their best deal, but I really want to know what I'm looking at from a cost perspective. We have 16 windows in the house, most are about 35 inches wide...

How to replace damaged old wood casement windows with a vinyl casement window? [ 3 Answers ]

I have very old Pella Wood interior casement windows where the sashes are starting to sag. I want to replace them with a vinyl casement window, but I don't know how to get rid of the old hardware in order to put in a vinyl casement window. I have vinyl siding with j-channel applied to the siding....

Window Replacement [ 5 Answers ]

I need to replace window (doesn't have to be new... as long as it look descent). The current one looks foggy. . Advise me where to contact.. . [email protected] Thanks, Slim30

Replacement window [ 2 Answers ]

I want to change out an replacement window installed 10 years ago. What's procedure to follow,to get new window with correct measurements????? Thanks :)

View more questions Search