Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Jul 5, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Where do you go to find out the laws?
    What do I have to search on the computer so I can find out which laws are for where I live?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 5, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Start by searching for the government in your area. If they have a website it may have links to local regulations.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 07:02 PM

Put into your search engine local laws for (county or city) that you want to know about and you should get the results you seek.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 6, 2009, 07:25 PM

Depends on what laws you want to find and why. Please elaborate so we can help further.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 07:29 PM

If in the US, You will have of course first state laws, these are normally searchable or found at the State Web site, the issue from there will be what is called case law, where various statues have been effected by previous legal cases.

Then you fall into county and even city rules and laws, that sometime may not even be searchable online.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 01:00 AM

Hi, LovesTheSun13!

It would help to know approximately where you're located in order to help you the best here. If you let us know, we'll most likely be able to let you know what information is available online for the city, county and state governments.

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Well, I'm in Ottawa, Ontario. Canada, I'm really curious to see if they list laws that have to do with the more serious stuff like stealing. Not to get the wrong idea, I don't steal Im just curious to see how they write the laws and what they say
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 08:35 AM

Hello L:

Stealing covers a lot of subjects... If you laws are anything like ours, you'll have to read about 94 different law books, and then you still won't understand.

Like has been suggested, why don't you tell us exactly what your concern is, and then we might be able to help. No, we're not going to tell you how to rob a bank. But, if you robbed a bank, we'll tell you where to send the money. I mean we'll tell you what to do.

excon

Jul 7, 2009, 10:38 AM
    Noo, Im not a stealer. I wanted to know, exactly what the law would be because my niece decided to steal make up from a department store and got caught, so in general, that kind of stuff
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 10:50 AM

Hello again, L:

Well, that helps somewhat. You'll only need to comb through about 10 law books.

But, since almost ALL the posts we get from Canada deal with minor shoplifting, you can probably learn all you need to know about it right here if you just spent 30 minutes reading.

excon

PS> (edited) You'll need to go to the Criminal Law Board.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 7, 2009, 11:07 AM

Ok, so it comes out. You do have a specific crime in mind. Canada has a law generally referred to as theft under $5000. This law cover specifies a penalty of up to 2 years in prison and a $2000 fine. However, most first offenders will get a diversion program of community service with a dismissal when they complete the diversion program.

Jul 7, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Thanks Scott, that does help !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International marriage and divorce laws in regard to american laws [ 3 Answers ]

Dateline: U.S. resident from panama in national guard gets stationed in panama and gets married U.S. resident comes back from panama (without wife cause she does not want to leave her country) U.S. resident becomes a naturalized citizen of U. S. Naturalized U. S. citizen gets american...

California car sales laws-smog laws [ 1 Answers ]

If I sell a currently registered vehicle in California and write on the bill of sale as is buyer responsible for smog, am I still responsible if it fails smog

Where can I find free access to Washington State Child abandonment laws [ 1 Answers ]

What are the Child abandonment laws for Washington State, how long a time and under what circumstances do they apply? The child in this case is 17 months old in the sole care of its father and has been since the child was 4 months old mother has not supported or cared or had the child since then. ...

How do IL tax laws compare to FL tax laws? [ 1 Answers ]

How do IL tax laws compare to FL tax laws?

View more questions Search