Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Narataru Posts: 28, Reputation: 0

Jul 5, 2009, 06:58 AM
    1/2"pipe to 3/4" pipe
    Hello,
    Can I connect 1/2" pipe to 3/4" pipe and will I have a good supply of water? Thanks :confused:
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 5, 2009, 07:12 AM
    If you have 1/2" feeding the meter then you will lose nothing by coming off it with 1/2". Good luck, tom

Jul 5, 2009, 07:27 AM
    Hello,
    Thanks for your answer, but I still don't understand if I can connect after 1/2" pipe another pipe that is 3/4". So, bigger pipe connected to smaller feeding pipe. Thanks again. :confused:
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 5, 2009, 07:45 AM
    My answer would have been different if you would have had 3/4" feeding a 3/4" meter.
    But nothing you could do, outside of increasing the meter size and feed to 3/4", would increase the volume. My own house is piped in 1/2" and I've goten along just fine for the last 55 years. Good luck, Tom

Jul 5, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Then, If I connect 3/4" pipe after a 1/2" pipe feeding, nothing is going to happen? Will I have same volume and pressure of water as I had with a 1/2" pipe? Then is better just pipe the house with same 1/2" and not need to use 3/4" pipe at all?
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 5, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Narataru View Post
    Then, If I connect 3/4" pipe after a 1/2" pipe feeding, nothing is going to happen? Will I have same volume and pressure of water as I had with a 1/2" pipe? Then is better just pipe the house with same 1/2" and not need to use 3/4" pipe at all?.
    You're building a new home? Then get the city to change the meter and feed to 3/4". Pipe 3/4" PVC for a house service and run 3/4" mains throughout with 1/2" branches feeding not more then three fixtures.
    That's how it's done correctly in my area. If you're building a large home for a large family with multiple bathrooms then increase everything up one size.
    One inch meter, one inch house service and one inch mains. Good luck, tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2009, 09:11 AM

I agree with Tom if you are building a new home it is the time to ask the city to change the supply line to meter to 3/4", and you run 3/4" mian line to the house and branch out to 1/2", Good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 3" copper pipe with 3" plastic pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My father needs to replace an existing 3" copper bathroom drain with new 3" plastic... How does connect the existing 3" copper with the new plastic?

Attaching new 2" drain pipe to existing 3" soil stack - PVC [ 4 Answers ]

All, I am installing an additional sink on the main level of my home. On the lower level, below, there is a main 3" soil stack. I am thinking to use a 3"x2" Y connector to tie 2" drain pipe into this main soil stack. The sink will be vented using AAV (island) Questions: 1. Is there any...

Teflon or Pipe Dope for 1 1/4" Water Pipe [ 7 Answers ]

I am building a project that uses several joints of 1 1/4 " galvanized pipe, including elbows and Tee's. The unit will be plumbed into my 50 psi water system. What is the best way to seal the pipe joints? I have assembled the unit and tested using teflon pipe dope and had several leaks.

Broken Concrete trap "Drainage Pipe" [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a house with a unfinished basement bath. I have since decided to finish the bathroom but have ran into a bit of a problem. The previous owners set all of the drains up and I have since found a large hole in the trap of a secondary drain that drains into the main. To explain it...

Tub to Shower 1.5" pipe to 2"pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Shower uses a 2" pipe. Tub used a 1.5 inch pipe. Bought a 2"pipe coupler... using the coupler to attach the new 2" pipe to the old 1.5 inch joint on the 3" main house drain pipe. The coupler has too much play on the 1.5 inch side... almost like it's an 1/8th of a inch smaller than 1.5. What's...

View more questions Search