Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    immauser Posts: 4, Reputation: -1

Jul 4, 2009, 10:53 PM
    On probation in different county, got busted for using illegal fireworks
    On July 4th, 2009.. me and some friends were lighting a few illegal fireworks (roman candles that shoot in the air and pop)... and police show up but just wrote me a ticket for 200 dollar fine and said I had to appear in court for a misdemeanor of using prohibited fireworks... out of everyone he just took me without saying a word and I wasn't even the one who used it!. the thing is I'm on probation, going on 3rd year, haven't had a single problem or needed to see my PO the entire time... but I'm worried if they will find out if I go to court?. but its in two different counties... and I'm surprised the police didn't even find that I had a record or on probation from back then when they checked my drivers license?

Any thoughts? I didn't know that they would make me go to court... I hope my po will not be notified? Like I've mentioned I never see my po... they don't require me to. And this was not such a big deal, on top of that I wasn't the one who lit the fireworks but the police just picked one person because no one said anything... help please.. thank you in advance
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 11:21 PM

The best thing you can do is tell your PO asap because if they find out and you haven't said anything you will be in worse trouble.
    Tell them and they will see you are owning up to things and not trying to hide things.

Jul 5, 2009, 03:08 AM
    But I don't ever see my PO... I'm not required to call them for check-ins... the last time I talked to her was maybe over 2 yrs ago... I was NOT arrested tonight for using the illegal fireworks, they cited me with a $200 fine... and told me I have to go to court "on, or before the assigned date" (similar to traffic court?)... I was wondering maybe I can go to court and have my paid lawyer to push back the court date until my probation ends or have them fight it down to an infraction?

I know of course its always better to contact the PO regarding ANY contact with law enforcement... but I've never done so even with other infractions and stuff (speeding tix etc) for the passed two yrs...

Please help, I'm a college student at the moment and have a job.. I don't want to lose all of that for some stupid fireworks that I wasn't even lighting!! Thank you all in advance for your helpful information

Jul 5, 2009, 03:10 AM

And on top of that, its July 4th today... its not like I had explosives or even a lot of "illegal" fireworks.. it was just a few sticks
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by immauser View Post
    and on top of that, its July 4th today... its not like I had explosives or even a lot of "illegal" fireworks.. it was just a few sticks
    Well, trying to justify breaking the law is about the worst thing you can do.

said I had to appear in court for a misdemeanor of using prohibited fireworks
    Just because they don't haul you into the police station does not mean charges are not going to be filed against you on misdemeanor charges.

Like NoHelp said... call your PO and tell him. Like now.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2009, 07:10 AM

The ticket was INSTEAD of dragging you off to jail.

In your original post you say "me and some friends were lighting a few illegal fireworks." Now you say "for some stupid fireworks that i wasnt even lighting." Which is it?

If they are against the Law it doesn't matter if you had 1 or 100.

And no matter how often you see your PO, you MUST report this to him/her. Read over the conditions of your probation -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

County 2 county probation transfer [ 4 Answers ]

I am on felony probation for domestic violence for 2 more years. Me and my girlfriend have a court ordered restraining order until Aug. 09. Her kids are moving to Lake Tahoe CA. with their father around that time. She doesn't want to be that far from her kids so we want to move to Tahoe also, we...

County to county probation transfer [ 4 Answers ]

My girlfriend and her children live in another county. I am on felony probation in the state of Florida with a "drug package". I work from home in a rural area as a freelance graphic designer and web developer and there isn't really a lot of work in this area for that. Currently I rely on contacts...

Probation troubles from state to state and county to county [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend was on probation in IL, he is a truck driver doing local runs in KY and sometimes needing to run from MO to KY. Due to him working so much in KY we decided to move here. Well his probation officer told him to find a place to live. We had both lived in KY before and we didn't like the...

Got OWI in a different County and on probation! [ 4 Answers ]

I am 20 yrs old and last weekend I got an operating while intoxicated ticket and I am on probation. I want to tell my probation officer but she hates me. The county I got the owi in is 60 miles away from where I am on probation in. I think I should tell her because I have a daughter and work full...

View more questions Search