Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gowbabe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 04:00 AM
    Trying to conceive at 41
    We have been trying to conceive for the past 8 months with no joy.my periods are every 29 days but only light spotting for 1 day only then totally gone .we always have intercourse around my ovulation period but it is not happening any suggestions on what we are doing wrong
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Jul 6, 2009, 11:35 AM

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Many women over age 40 need a little or a lot of help from the obgyn. I would call your dr. and set something up.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 11:37 AM

Are you charting your BBT? Are you having sex just BEFORE you ovulate?

The AVERAGE time it takes a couple to conceive is a year. I would see your OB/Gyn and talk to her about it.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 11:44 AM

Many women have difficulty conceiving after 40. Some aren't able to do it at all. Have you looked into fertility treatments? Adoption? Surrogacy (depending on what state you are in)
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Jul 6, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gowbabe View Post
    we have been trying to concieve for the past 8 months with no joy.my periods are every 29 days but only light spotting for 1 day only then totally gone .we always have intercourse around my ovulation period but it is not happening any suggestions on what we are doing wrong

Well it isn't a cut and dry answer, but it takes a little more work with your OBGYN, as no one on here can effectively diagnose why you are having a hard time.

Many things could play a factor, blocked tubes, sperm quality, Cervical mucous deficiency, anovulatory cycles, hormones, in order to be properly diagnosed to see if there is something more than your age, You should consult with your OBGYN, who can assist and help you with Trying to conceive, and take it from there.
    makapuu Posts: 304, Reputation: 63

Jul 9, 2009, 03:08 PM

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, however your body is on a timeclock. I had a FSH hormone test in my early 40's and was told that I don't have many eggs left and it would be unlikely that I would get pregnant, or stay pregnant.
    I would suggest to go to the OBGYN to see what your situation is.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 03:12 PM

Along with all the other advice given I would only add that if you are using an artificial lubricant,it can interfere with sperm mobility.
    Using oils and such can basically cause the sperm to get stuck in an oil slick ,making swimming impossible.
    Something a doc told me years ago when I was having difficulty conceiving.
    jolienoire Posts: 917, Reputation: 166

Jul 9, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    Along with all the other advice given I would only add that if you are using an artificial lubricant,it can interfere with sperm mobility.
    Using oils and such can basically cause the sperm to get stuck in an oil slick ,making swimming impossible.
    Something a doc told me years ago when I was having difficulty conceiving.
    They have a new lubricant that is sperm friendly called preseed.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 06:50 PM

The problem is, when you are in your mothers womb, your body produces ALL of the eggs for your life. Its not like a man where the sperm is constantly being produced in the testicles.

Once you become older, your egg supply starts to dwindle. And the eggs you do have left are starting to get 'older' as well as you are getting older. And they aren't as 'good' as they were when you were younger, so even if they do fertilize, it can be harder for it to latch on to your uteren wall, which means it is simply passed as a period.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 10, 2009, 12:13 PM

If you haven't already, I have two pieces of advice:

Schedule a pre-conception appointment with your OB/GYN

Check out "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. Lots of very valuable information - even my doc recommends it. Its an overview of anatomy/fertilty/pregnancy achievement/basal body tempratures (BTT)
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 10, 2009, 12:57 PM

Jolienoire agrees: That is an awesome book! Congrats on your pregnancy!
    Thank you, Jolie!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When did I conceive? [ 4 Answers ]

I had my period starting feb.3-feb.8. I had sex with my ex on feb.9 and feb.19, I also had sex with my boyfriend on feb.23,and24.(PLEASE SOMEONE HELP IF YOU CAN):confused: :o .(I'm considering having an abortion because I honestly don't know what to do)

Trying to conceive [ 10 Answers ]

My partner and I have been trying for a baby since jan with no luck. My partner is 20 years older than me. He has a child from a previous relationship. I am desperate to make our family complete. Think I am thinking about it too much and winding myself up. Don't think my boyfriend understands how...

Trying to conceive [ 3 Answers ]

It is hard to get pregnant if you have irregular periods? Will you still ovulate when you have your period even though it is irregular?

Trying to conceive [ 2 Answers ]

I have been trying to conceive now for a couple months and I tracked my ovulation period and the days I would be most fertile to try and conceive.So we did the deed every day at least 3 times a day and noticed the next day after that I had very light spotting when in the bathroom, I checked a...

View more questions Search