Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pbmendez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Can't find leak in Gas Pipes
    We are renovating a home, our plumber took our existing gas lines, we moved where the stove was and removed an old bathroom heater. The rest of the lines stayed intact.
    From the meter comes a long run to the furnace in the attic, then splits to the stove and hot water tanks.

All pipe is existing except the new run to move the stove from one side of the kitchen to the other.

Our gas is off.

Our plumber started with pressure at 50lbs - and then used the soapy water to test all connections. There were two old shut off connections, one at the hot water tank and one at the furnace that were bad, we changed those. We repressurized the system and in 2 days it was down to 0

Next weekend - re-charged and resoaped everything, couldn't find anything (so we removed the old bathroom heater) - it was previously left connected but thought this was probably the problem so we disconnected it.

Re-charged the system to 90#'s - resoaped everything - no bubbles. Held 90#'s for 2 hours or so, then dropped to 60 in 6 hrs, it was below 30 by morning and 0 by the end of the 2nd day.

We had a friend who used a stethescope kind of device to see if he could hear the leak. No luck.

Gauge is fine, we switched that out all three times.

How else can we find the leak? Someone mentioned a dye you can charge in the pipes and use a black light to see where the particles are escaping the pipe from. Said its used in automotive AC, I can't find anywhere that it is used for house gas and don't want to do something stupid.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We have friends staying there and our plumber can only work on it on the weekends. They have yet to have a warm shower.

Please help
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 12:40 AM

This should help:

How to Identify & Correct LP Gas or Natural Gas Leaks in gas piping, at controls, valves, connections, and appliances
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 4, 2009, 05:27 AM
    Try again with the soapy water.. The gas is escaping for some where. Have you checked the burners on the furnace and water heater to be sure you're not losing pressure past the shutoffs? Let me know what you find. Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmendez View Post
    Our plumber started with pressure at 50lbs - and then used the soapy water to test all connections. There were two old shut off connections, one at the hot water tank and one at the furnace that were bad, we changed those. We repressurized the system and in 2 days it was down to 0
    50lbs is too much -- And 90lbs is way too much.

If we're talking natural gas and not LP (propane) You should be testing somewhere between 8 and 15psi.

Most of the gas cocks carried by the big box stores are rated for 30psi maximum.

Also, you mention that the gas is off, but you don't specify if the gas is disconnected and capped at the meter -- It should be -- And hopefully your Plumber didn't blow apart the diaphragm in the regulator at the meter by pumping it up in excess of 30psi.

For a proper gas piping test: All appliances should be disconnected and capped/plugged after the gas cock with the gas cock opened and the meter should be disconnected and capped or plugged on your side of the meter, not the utilities.

Pressurizing should be done at 8psi with a 15lb gauge or 15psi with a 30lb gauge -- A gauge higher than 30lbs should not be used.

If the piping will hold 8 or 15psi for two hours with no pressure drop, then the piping meets testing specs.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 4, 2009, 07:17 AM

Did you remove shut off valves at the appliances completely and plugged it with 1/2" galvanized plug ?
    pbmendez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2009, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Did you remove shut off valves at the appliances completely and plugged it with 1/2" galvanized plug ?
    Yes he did remove all appliances and he capped the connection to the meter so it wouldn't damage the meter. We will try the solutions suggested. Thanks to all.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 4, 2009, 08:10 AM

If you pressurize it - let's say - to 50 psi, or higher, the escaping air will actually be audible and traceable by ear. But you want to do this when noise pollution is down, like on Sunday eve.

Also, don't forget to cap off ALL appliances - like furnace under the house, A/C in the attic, wall heater, BBQ on side of the house, Fire Pit, Pool heater, etc...

As far as pool, bbq and fire pit goes, pipes and the leak may be under ground. Here, you would have to disconnect it and cap it off before pipes enter ground...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 4, 2009, 08:18 AM
    Make sure the plumber checks his own test apparatus. I have seen leaks develop at the testing equipment and go undetected for hours... ;)

A proper test setup will include the shrader valve, a proper test gauge and a shutoff. Test all, and shutoff the shutoff at the test point. Open shutoff 10 minutes later... if pressure falls then leak is in system. If not, the elak may be at the test apparatus.

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have roof leak can't find leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is jeff and my question is how can I find where my roof is leaking from. The leak is on my camper front. The roof is rubber and I have looked at all corners and edges. The inside corner is rotted out I am going to have to replace the wall in the corner. I was hoping to find the leak...

How to find leak [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed that water runs down to the first floor through the light when we take a shower. It doesn't happen all the time. I think we just might need to re-caulk the shower towels. However, now I have a farily large water bubble, not in the same place as the light but a little further to...

Cannot Find Water Leak [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a house and lived in it for 2 days. It was probably built in the 1970's. This water leak seems to appear only when taking a shower in the downstairs masters bathroom (inside bedroom). The shower was running and the toilet (in the same room) made this gurgling sound. I flushed it...

I can't even FIND my pipes let alone fix them! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a real puzzle on my hands. I have a 55-year old wooden house with no basement, and a crawl space I cannot enter. None of the sinks have shut-off valves. The tub does not have a shut-off valve or even a panel I can open to access the pipes. The water can only be shut off at the water meter,...

Can't seem to find leak from tub [ 7 Answers ]

OK well I just bought a house that was built in the 60s and the tub/shower was falling apart. The grout that held the platic tiles on the wall had dried up and started to fall off. Day by day I would lose more tiles so I went to the home improvement store and bought a tub/shower wall kit. I ripped...

View more questions Search