Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Farly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Fencing with quadratics
    Ms. Brown has 200m of fencing with which she plans to build a fence( no duh) She intends to construct a rectangular enclosure along a river where no fence is needed. She plans to divide the pen into two smaller pens.

I have the 3 vertical fences labeled as y(there all the same length) and the one horizontal fence labeled as x. Now, I know that x= 200-3y but I can't figure out how to complete the square( I know this involves factoring)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 05:53 PM
    You didn't provide enough information to set up an equation on which to complete the square or any other process. Do the two smaller pens have to have equal areas? Are you trying to determine the largest possible area? No one can help you with this until you specify what the problem actually asks.
    Farly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Farly
    Ms. Brown has 200m of fencing with which she plans to build a fence( no duh) She intends to construct a rectangular enclosure along a river where no fence is needed. She plans to divide the pen into two smaller pens.

I have the 3 vertical fences labeled as y(there all the same length) and the one horizontal fence labeled as x. Now, i know that x= 200-3y but i can't figure out how to complete the square( i know this involves factoring)
    The area is to be a maximum. The question asks for the dimensions of the pen. The individual pen size shouldn't matter but according to the diagram given they look to be the same size.

~~~~~~~~~~~(river)
    |````|`````|
    |````|`````|
    |____|_____|
    200-3y

(`) = blank space
    (| & _ )= fence
    (~) = river
    vertical fence = y
    horazontal fence=x

does this help?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fencing attacks and the martial arts [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to start a discussion about fencing moves and their similarity to martial arts moves. Anyone interested?

Is fencing a good sport? [ 1 Answers ]

I sooo want to try this sport. Can anyone tell me how this goes? Do I need to buy the gears while I'm still checking out the sport? Just want to try it out first

View more questions Search