Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blue_eyes375 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 07:22 PM
    What is the statute of limitaions on rape in ontario canada
    Just wondering what the time limit is for reporting rape. I never reported it when it happened because I was scared at the time. I was just wondering if it was to late to charge the person who violated me.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2006, 12:09 AM
    Sexual assault is a federal issue in Canada, so federal laws will apply…

For summary offences, the SOL is 6 months.

For indictable offences, there is no SOL.

Sexual assault is an indictable offence.

Therefore, you can file and press charges whenever.

However, if so much time has passed, proving he raped you might be a bit difficult.

But, you are well within your rights to file a police report and the Crown attorney's might then try and prosecute him.
    blue_eyes375 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2006, 08:31 AM
    It has happened a many times over the past 6 years but I was scared when I was with the person to press charges. Now that I am away from him I have more strength to go ahead with the charges if possible.

The last time it happened was just over 2 years ago so I think I may be out of luck on pressing charges but I am going to ask for legal advice as soon as I can find someone who will listen to my questions.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2006, 09:01 PM
    Jus to clarify in case I didn't do a good job the first time…

There is no SOL on rape (sexual assault).

You can file a report and he can be charged at any time.

The rape could have happened 10 days ago, or 2 years ago or 25 years ago. It doesn't matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitation (SoL) ontario [ 11 Answers ]

I live in ontario,Canada . 7 years ago, going through divorce, I stopped paying my debts ( credit cards, line of credit (unsecured), personal loan(unsecured),store cards). Collection agencies were chasing me but had no luck finding me. This week I check my credit report from both equifax and...

Ontario - debt statute of limitations [ 10 Answers ]

I was recently contacted by a debt collector who told me I owed an Ontario University money. I have not attended that school since 1999 and this was the first corresponence I received regarding this debt. I would like to know if they can take me to court for this, and if not, can they put this...

Statute of Limitations - Ontario [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, This is in reference to a consumer debt by the way. I have read that the Ontartio sTatute law was modified Such that any debt as of jan 1 2004 was "sue-able" within 2 years , any debt before that was "sue-able" for up to 6 years. Is that correct? Also, assuming I encounted a debt in Sept...

Ontario Statute of Limitations for Lawsuits [ 4 Answers ]

The Proceedings Authorization Committee of the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC) will be addressing a list of complaints against my mother’s lawyer within the next month that I filed back in November 2004. After a very lengthy & thorough investigation, the assigned Law Society investigator has...

Unknown debt problem -- Ontario, Canada [ 4 Answers ]

NOTE: Prior to reading this, please note that I reside in Ontario, Canada. I would appreciate inpur from anyone with knowledge about our system. Hello, Myself and my wife have always prided ourselves on living within our means, minimizing debt, and our (up to now) excellent credit rating....

View more questions Search