Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 01:21 PM
    Recording CD's
    I want to buy a record player that is compatible for copying my LP and 45 records onto CD's.
    I know the law now says you can copy CD's for your own use... like backing them up so if one gets ruined you still have a copy.
    Then I was thinking maybe I could advertise that I copy records onto CD's and make a couple dollars on it. I was thinking it would be good for people that have rare records they want a back up for.
    Would that be legal since it would be their record collection anyway?
    spiritcharms Posts: 230, Reputation: 30

Jul 3, 2009, 11:00 AM

Ive no idea about the law or where you are from but I would have thought that it doesn't matter who's record collection it is, it's the advertising and handing over of money that matters. ALthough I'm sure many people don't stick to the law and do this sort of thing anyway.

Like I said I haven't really a clue about the law but I do know that copyright laws are a tricky one. Hopefully I've bumped this up for you so you can get a proper answer.

It's a good idea though ;)
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 02:21 PM

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much if I didn't want to advertise because then it would be just a few friends I would maybe do it for.
    I know I have a lot of records I never listen to because I don't have a needle for my record player. Having them on CD would be much more convenient.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2009, 04:09 PM

Here's the thing. If they own the record, then you are legal. But to safeguard yourself, they need to prove it. What if they borrowed a friend's record and you made a copy and then they returned it to the 3rd party. Or what if you damaged the record?

There is a lot of potential liability here. I think you would also need to have them supply the blank CD.
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2009, 04:11 PM

Thanks
    Yeah I have to figure out a way to handle the liability thing if they are scratched and try to blame me.
    I think I can handle not scratching them.

I am trying to come up with every way I can think of to make money with music. I can't sing and I can't dance and I can't play any instruments but I have almost all the equipment for a band and karoke.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 12:26 AM

This:

Numark TTUSB USB Turntable Vinyl Record Player CD MP3

Or this:
    ION USB Direct-To-CD Recording Turntable - LP2CD
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2009, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the site.
    I never heard of that brand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burning CD's [ 3 Answers ]

How do I copy songs from one CD to another? I have windowsXp dell PC.

Mp3 cd's to save to PC [ 1 Answers ]

How do u save mp3 cd's to PC??

Music cd's [ 1 Answers ]

When playing music that has been downloaded from the internet the volume varies greatly on some tracks. Any way to correct it so the play-back volume is constant from song to song? Thanks. noboat

View more questions Search