Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Can Alpha Arbutin and Hydrogen Peroxide Lighten Skin?
    Can Alpha Arbutin and Hydrogen Peroxide (35%) really lighten the skin? Hs anyone used this, if so how many shades did you lighten and what are the directions? I want to light about 4 shades lighter.
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Can someone please answer... :confused:
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jul 20, 2009, 05:47 PM

I don't think hydrogen peroxide can be used as a lightener. People usually use it for cuts and burns. It can lighten hairs too. Arbutin however can be used on the skin.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 05:56 PM
    Thanks for answering... I thought no one was going to answer.
    tai18 Posts: 130, Reputation: 2

Jul 20, 2009, 11:33 PM

Alpha arbutin won't lighten your skin it just takes out discoloration
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 06:08 PM
    I read that the Alpha Arbutin can do a number of things. That it's good for brightening the skin, prevent tanning, and helps with discolorations:
    "Alpa Arbutin’s manufacturers proclaim that the active, pure substance works on removing “liver spots”, brightening skin color, and inhibiting tanning (even after UV sun exposure) and darkening of the skin BETTER than d-kojic acid and hydroquinone... "
    Alpha Arbutin - The Alpha Skin Whitening Agent that Works Fast—Advanced Skin Care and Beauty Treatment Reviews - SkinGeek.com
    But that it's works better when mixed with other lightening ingredients. But, I wonder what works best with Alpha Arbutin when combined to lighten all of the skin then?
    lilgreg1 Posts: 171, Reputation: 12

Aug 19, 2009, 08:31 PM

(Accept my apologies if this is a bit late or considered a bump)

To be honest, and as a user of Alpha Arbutin, it does lighten skin. Arbutin in general inhibits a process known as "tyrosinase", which in more specifically is the use of Tyrosine (An amino acid/enzyme that is REQUIRED for melanin production) to form melanin.

Albino's, or in other words people with color/melanin deficiency lack this process entirely, and therefore are pale white in every aspect, with the exception of blood-red eyes. Of course, usage of Arbutin stops about 30-70% of the process, and therefore over the course of time the remaining melanin wears off, while production of new melanin cells are slowed down. This is initially the reason why using Arbutin does not make you an "Albino" as well. (Only skin contact + reduced production, not complete removal.)

Just a note:
    - Using Arbutin requires that you maintain use for months. You may gain a bit of color back if the process of Tyrosinase starts up again.
    - Alpha-(Arbutin) is considered 8-10x stronger than the Beta version. Neither present any side effects whatsoever, and in terms of strength, just refer to effectiveness on skin.
    -Using Arbutin does affect and lower the reaction of your skin to UV rays, but it is still advised that you use SunBlock with a high SPF whenever necessary. Exposure may lower the effectiveness of Arbutin, or prompt melanin production by a small margin.
    - Mixing Arbutin may not be the best idea. Use basic creams when diluting, as AHA's and other products of similar make-up, such as Glycol(ic) [acid], may inhibit the existing effectiveness of Arbutin.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 12:03 PM
    So your saying the Alpha Arbutin can prevent melanin production up to 30-70%? I want to lighten about 4-5 shades and then maintain by using a lightener 2-3 times weekly. Where did you purchase your a-arbutin from and was it the pure arbutin or was it pre-mixed into a cream base? And what percentage did you use to see good lightening? I already know it is stronger than b-arbutin, but I still have many questions to ask about a-arbutin, as I have never used the pure or highly concentrated.
    meagro5 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2009, 12:20 PM

Yes lilreg1 I'd like to know where did you purchase yours from

Aug 20, 2009, 12:26 PM

It takes many months for Alpha Arbutin to fully remove 3 or even 4 shades. It's a great skin maintainer however, and poses no real safety hazards. Due to forum rules concerning advertising, I'll be more than happy to list brand-name Alpha Arbutin creams that can be found in a variety of places both online and in specialty shops, rather than direct sites.

Several branded creams that have proven useful through Alpha Arbutin:
    * Skinbright Skin Brightener
    * Revitol Skin Lightener
    * Nano DNA Lightener

** A simple search engine search will find you the appropriate sites or companies that sell these brands. It's possible to find pure Alpha Arbutin, but requires high precision to mix within the correct ratio; highly concentrated Alpha Arbutin will not mix or dilute properly, while too low concentrated is considered ineffective. **

Skinbright and Nano both guarantee first-time results (Upto a shade or even two depending on your original shade) within the first 30 days of usage.
    imgorgeous Posts: 385, Reputation: 14

Aug 20, 2009, 12:28 PM

If you use hydrogen peroxide evry single daay after a cold shower bath I promise you you will look significantly lighter in a months time...

But you will have eto use it everyday or every alternate to keep that look up !

You will love it sooo much that a day you don't use it... you will feel your skin really DULL !

So it's a choice you have to make !

Aug 20, 2009, 12:38 PM

Using Hydrogen Peroxide solely for skin lightening is highly unadvised. It's caustic, meaning it burns away your skin and is meant as a high antiseptic; using it in excess damages your epidermis, and dermis overtime, resulting in collagen loss, wrinkles, and damaged skin.

The only reason it gives off the temporary 'illusion' of lighter skin is through burning off the top layer of your epidermis, which can be achieved with less reactive, and safer skin scrubs/exfoliates, or even Benzoyl Peroxide, a common used acne fighter.

Aug 20, 2009, 12:47 PM

Lil Greg.. I have used hydrogen peroxide in my late teens for alteast three years.. it did lighten me to a huge extent... Back to my childhood colour.. bUt I had to use it every single day...

You are right.. it does make the skin dull if you stop using it... That is so true... Couldn't agree with you more.. But as far as wrinkles are concerned... if you moisturise after using hydrogen peroxide with a combo of glycerin, lemon and rose water... that situation DOES NOT arise of wrinkling up...

Besides every lightening agent is harmful anyway... you got to risk to to get what your seeking ! I don't have any wrinkles today... years after using hydrogen peroxide... but yes when I stopped using it.. my skin was dull looking for many months before it recuperated..

But it DOES recuperate.. I know that through personal experience..

And today I am a heavy smoker... but I am still devoid of any wrinkles.. So I don't totally agree with what you said...

Aug 20, 2009, 01:02 PM

Generally speaking, yes, different people react to different substances in various ways.

Only advice I'm here to give is that Hydrogen Peroxide isn't meant to lighten skin, and is generally more harmful that most other chemicals (such as Benzoyl Peroxide or Skin Exfoliates) that give similar and safer results, despite lightening skin to a good extent for yourself.

You may have not gotten wrinkles or permanent skin damage, but for those with more sensitive skin, collagen deformation, early wrinkles, and damaged skin will occur.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilgreg1 View Post
    It takes many months for Alpha Arbutin to fully remove 3 or even 4 shades. It's a great skin maintainer however, and poses no real safety hazards. Due to forum rules concerning advertising, I'll be more than happy to list brand-name Alpha Arbutin creams that can be found in a variety of places both online and in specialty shops, rather than direct sites.

Several branded creams that have proven useful through Alpha Arbutin:
    * Skinbright Skin Brightener
    * Revitol Skin Lightener
    * Nano DNA Lightener

** A simple search engine search will find you the appropriate sites or companies that sell these brands. It's possible to find pure Alpha Arbutin, but requires high precision to mix within the correct ratio; highly concentrated Alpha Arbutin will not mix or dilute properly, while too low concentrated is considered ineffective. **

Skinbright and Nano both guarantee first-time results (Upto a shade or even two depending on your original shade) within the first 30 days of usage.
    Lilgreg, you can pm it to me, that would be fine. I use an Avon microdermabrasion 2-3 times weekly which is helping my skin to even. But, I'm looking for a good lightener. I think that if I purchase my own alpah arbutin, I can properly formulate it myself instead of using a diluted version from a brand name, right? That's just my guess anyway.

Aug 20, 2009, 02:05 PM

It's possible to formulate it between a dilute between 3% and 5% for best results. The site/company I previously ordered from is under construction, so I'll pm you the other site which uses a liquid formation, that can be combined directly with lotion, creams, or even makeup.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 20, 2009, 03:27 PM

I think there might be different percentages of hydrogen peroxide. Maybe if you try a high pecentage it will work, but I don't think the ones they sell in stores have a high percentage. If it does lighten skin it might just work temporarily.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 07:49 PM
    I'm nolonger interested in the possibility of trying Hydrogen peroxide, I doubt it would do much other than burn my skin. But, I'm interested in trying the Alpha-Arbutin though and try mixing it myself so I'll know that it is potent.

Aug 21, 2009, 02:06 AM

Lol... Goldern Girl... don't use hydrogen peroxide if you don't wish to... but in proper filution of 2 or 3 per cent.. it can NEVER cause burning...

By the way I have recently purchase a body bleach cream... Firsttime.. am getting slightly desperate
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 12:01 PM
    Really? But so many people everywhere kept saying that it will burn the skin if you use it too much and too often due to it's slight acidity.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Alpha arbutin? [ 30 Answers ]

Does it really depigment your skin? Or is it just another skin lightening agent?

Alpha Arbutin [ 28 Answers ]

Has anyone used it and what was the outcome? Thanks. :)

Alpha Arbutin and hydrogen peroxide 35% [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all I think this is my first ever big post so let me introduce myself I'm trying to get from http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2007/stylewatch/gallery/hair/jennifer_hudson.jpg to http://pragmaticideas.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/michaeljackson.jpg with Alpha Arbutin and hydrogen peroxide 35%...

View more questions Search