Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A mouse Posts: 42, Reputation: 5

Jul 1, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Solar panels and an energy bill?
    I thought that solar energy was supposed to be free... Am I reading incorrectly or is there really still an energy bill every month? And if so, why?? It makes no sense that they should get money for some energy they didn't make, I mean the panels themselves are expensive enough.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 04:19 PM

If you have enough Panel$, You can make your Meter go backwards, and Make Money or save money.
    It takes a Bit of money for enough Panels and Inverter to Power most houses.
    I live in a Hurricane Prone area where I don't think Solar Panels would survive, after the storm.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 1, 2009, 04:23 PM

First, I'd like to satisfy my curiousity. What does your question have to do with Private Investigations? That is where you originally posted this. I've moved it to a more appropriate forum.

Solar energy IS free, but collecting and processing it costs money.

What generally happens is the solar panels may not generate enough electricity for your usage. Maybe you get several cloudy days in a row. So, there may be times that the panels don't supply enough. Therefore you need to have something to back you up if the panels don't supply enough. So you still get hooked to the grid.

However, there may also be times when you produce more electricity than you need. In those times, you are actually selling energy to the power company. This goes as a credit on your account. So its possible for the power company to pay you.

You could unhook yourself completely from the grid but then you will need some backup (generator?) for when you aren't producing enough. Also, to get some of the rebates and tax credits you will probably be required to remain hooked to the grid.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 09:57 PM

I live in a Hurricane Prone area where I don't think Solar Panels would survive, after the storm.
    I have a house in a hurricane area and my solar hot water heater went through quite a few hurricanes.

Funny I was thinking why doesn't Florida add a Building codes That all new const. must have a percentage of solar power be it electric / or water heater.

If this would happen just think how much cheaper solar panels would be..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solar panels [ 7 Answers ]

Me and my husband have been discussing putting in solar panels. He wanted me to get online and see what I could find out. I need a solar panels for dummies or something. Any help would be grateful cause I really don't know where to start. There is so much out there that it is overwhelming.

Windmill/solar panels [ 3 Answers ]

Can you connect wind gen and solar panels together to the Solar Panel Charge Regulator? Thank you.:D

Building solar panels [ 3 Answers ]

I hope this is the best area to ask this... I want to learn how to build my own small solar panels. I seem to recall running across a plan to do so in a magazine a few years ago, but cannot for the life of me remember where I read it. Does anyone know how to do this? I'm wanting to build...

View more questions Search