Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macfaye0 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 09:03 AM
    Does employer continue to pay insurance while waiting for a COBRA Insurance election?
    When an employee has been terminated from employment, how many days after termination does the employer have to pay the insurance premium on the employee while waiting for the employee to decide on COBRA?
    jef1056 Posts: 70, Reputation: 5

Jul 2, 2009, 01:16 PM

They don't pay while you are deciding on COBRA. You would be termed from the plan in accordance with company policy. Usually the day of term or in rare cases at the end of the month termed.
    1) The employer has up yo 45 days to notify you of your COBRA options.
    2) From the date of notification you have 60 days to decide.
    3) Then you have up to 45 days to make your first payment. Which is all the premiums due, retroactive back to the day you were termed.
    4) Once they receive your payment they will enroll you retroactive to the date of term into the health plan.
    That is for Federal COBRA which is for businesses with more than 20 employees. Employers with 2-19 would be under state "Mini COBRA" regulations if they have them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer provided health insurance and preexisting conditions [ 3 Answers ]

If an employee with a preexisting condition is terminated and selects to take COBRA coverage until he/she finds a new job, will there a be a problem getting coverage under the new employer's plan due to the preexisting condition?

Should I continue Gap insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, When I owned a new 2007 Honda Civic, the dealer discussed so many insurance policies apart from the regular auto insurance and the dealer was successful in getting two additional insrance policies from me. I accepted the policies without knowing what it was.. This was my first car. Out of...

Cobra Insurance Coverage [ 2 Answers ]

I will be leaving my current employer in one week. I will be starting with my new company immediately. I will lose my health care benefits the day I quit my current employer, and will not pick up my new coverage for 1 month. My question is what are the rules on COBRA retroactive? For...

Health insurance - will current employer cover surgery? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This question may seem silly, but I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered. I am going to have surgery to repair a torn acl. The surgery is probably going to occur on July 18th. My final day of employment at my current job could be July 27th. I am assuming that my...

View more questions Search