Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigjim Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Water Softener Location
    I am looking to do the plumbing for a water softener. The primary artery of the plumbing is a 1" copper pipe... the issue I am having with the location of the softener is that I would need to run about 10 ft of piping tapped into the main artery just to get the unsoftened water to the softener and then another 10 ft or so of piping back to the main artery supplying the rest of the house with softened water. My concern is that this is too far from the main line. I am just not familiar enough with water softeners, will the softener have enough pressure to move the softened water back through to the main pipe... Logically thinking I don't see why it would make a differnece if I run 2 feet of pipe off the main or 10. Thanks
    dmkegs Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Oct 14, 2006, 01:34 PM
    In a lot of istallations the water softener is plumbed only on the inlet to the hot water tank to cut down on the calcium carbonate and other particulates formed when heating water. Unless your water is extremely hard I wouldn't soften the rest just the hot. If you have lots of particulates in ice cubes or you tea pot has build up that you can't live with then treat all the water, that's your call.
    As far as pessure make sure that the diameter of the pipe is consistent to what comes in the house which in your case would be 1"

Oct 14, 2006, 01:36 PM
    Our avg grains per gallon is about 22 which is extrmely hard water... iron content is less than 1 ppm and same for manganese. I think in this case all the water should be softened with the exception of the outside faucets...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 02:24 PM
    This is just a house, 2000-3000 sqft? 3/4'' pipe is common in residential use. How long are your pipe runs? I don't think there is any way another 20' of 1'' pipe is going to make any difference in your water pressure.

And I strongly back softening everything but the outside water. Whoever is in charge of cleaning and maintaining the toilets will too.
    dmkegs Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Oct 14, 2006, 02:27 PM
    I would agree you do have it hard ours runs about 9. The 10' shouldn't be a huge issue as long as you keep sizing adequate.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 14, 2006, 03:29 PM
    Hey Jim,

You will have to build a bypass when you pipe your softner. I have drawn up a typical bypass for you to see. The bypass will install just before you connect the inlet and outlet pipes. Good luck, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 04:41 PM
    The Whirlpool softener I installed this summer has a built in bypass. If fact, with it in the bypass position, you can pull off a couple of clips and remove the softener leaving the bypass and the water on. It came with male 1'' pipe threads.

Oct 14, 2006, 05:33 PM
    THe main line coming into the house (the line I would need to tap into) is 1" copper...My old house was 3/4" copper. The softener I looked at would come with a bypas valve included so that shouldn't be an issue, just sounds like as long as I tap into the main and continue to use 1" copper wherever I put the softener will not be a problem

Oct 15, 2006, 05:50 AM
    Th other issue I have with this is the acctual connection to the softener. I have seen 3/4 flexible copper like that used on the water heater but not 1", would 1" be required or can I reduce the 1" main to 3/4" where it would meet the flexible pipe and then go into the softener, same with the outlet from the softener back to the main. I have seen 1" stainless flex, would this be a viable option
    Thanks to all who helped

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water softener sanitization [ 1 Answers ]

I have an opportunity to get a culligan mark 10 water softener from a friend. It has not been in use for a couple of years and has standing water present in both the brine tank and the resin chamber. I know I can get the brine tank cleaned and sanitized. The concern I have is the resin...

Water Softener for whole house [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, The plumbing set up in my house does not have a loop for a softener. So from what I have been told I would have to have softened water running throughout my house, kitchen included. (unless I spend a fortune to get plumbing redone) Is this a bad idea? Can anyone give me any advice...

Dirty Water Softener [ 2 Answers ]

Whoever installed the water softener in my house (done with the previous owner) obviously wasn't the sharpest knife in the kitchen because they installed the sediment filter AFTER the water softener (I'm on a dug well with quite a bit of sediment coming through the pipes). Needless to say my water...

Water pressure/water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "waterfall" faucet in my tub (separate shower). I turned on the water to the tub the other day and it barely runs. Then tonight my daughter was running the tub faucet and I had no hot water pressure to the kitchen. This has never been a problem. I understand from reading that we may...

Basement Washer/Softener drain running slowly. [ 2 Answers ]

The drain for my Water Softener, Washer, and basement sink sits behind my washer. It is a 2 inch PVC pipe that comes out of the wall, has a visible trap, and stands vertically about 2 feet. The washer drains into the top and the Softener and sink water enter the pipe through a PVC that joins the...

View more questions Search