Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmc22 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 06:58 PM
    Should I replace the 1.5 pipe to 1.25 instead, just wondering you guys would know way better then me!!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 06:59 PM
    DMC... Growler is talking about something else here... YOUR WORK IS FINE. The old work is messed up!

Growler...

If you are talking about the fernco coupling choking down from 1.5" PVC to 1.5" copper (I'd bet you... even though the pics. Aren't clear on that).. no I see no problem... ;)

How about the 1.5" galvanized piping going straight into the PVC pipe? I mean... if you want to get nitty/gritty here... huh? How is it that you missed that one..?

The fact is that he just posted the picture and he made it all work... WITHOUT IT LEAKING. Seems to me he did pretty good...

You are, as usual, however, correct in the fact that this should all be repiped so that the galvanized piping connects properly to the PVC and while he is at it he should get rid of the tubular trap. In my area these are illegal nowadays. He should pipe this all up solid PVC.

For now, however...he did great and until he remodels in the future...I would leave it alone!! DMC should be aware that when he has a free Saturday he can repipe this all correctly using shielded transition clamps.. see image. These are available at all home supply stores.

Now...how about the fact that there are no shutoffs below this sink...? What about that ground wire...I don't see a grounding clamp...?? Any thoughts...??

I still wonder what is below the fernco coupling... huh?

Thanks...

MARK
    Attached Images

dmc22 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 07:17 PM
    Actually there is a hot and cold water shutoff behind the bucket in the pictures I listed, and I could most definitely can replace the shielded transition clamps this Saturday.

I think the wire was use to hold up the cold water shutoff valve in the old vanity, I don't know it's there?

The house is almost 100 years old and needs a lot of updating. But I like most just do the best I can when I can. Still thanks for pointing stuff out like that I'm no plumbing expert and all the information I can use will save me and my family a ton a dough.

Thanks again to all
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 07:34 PM
    If you are talking about the fernco coupling choking down from 1.5" PVC to 1.5" copper (I'd bet you... even though the pics. Aren't clear on that).. no I see no problem... ;)
    No, I'm fairly certain it's 1-1/4" galvanized pipe.

How about the 1.5" galvanized piping going straight into the PVC pipe? I mean... if you want to get nitty/gritty here... huh? How is it that you missed that one..?
    Dude, make up your mind -- Is it galvanized piping or is it copper DWV piping?

And I didn't miss it -- I assumed it was a mock-up.

The fact is that he just posted the picture and he made it all work... WITHOUT IT LEAKING. Seems to me he did pretty good...
    And he telescoped 1-1/2" plastic into 1-1/4" galvanized piping.

Jeebus, Mark, this is so wrong on so many levels.

You seriously approve of this repair?

You are, as usual, however, correct in the fact that this should all be repiped so that the galvanized piping connects properly to the PVC and while he is at it he should get rid of the tubular trap. In my area these are illegal nowadays. He should pipe this all up solid PVC.
    Actually, he could have done this correctly if he'd saved the pieces he cut out and reassembled the 1-1/4" Durham San-Tee and cut off bits with K-150 shielded couplings.

Now...how about the fact that there are no shutoffs below this sink...? What about that ground wire...I don't see a grounding clamp...?? Any thoughts...??? Hmmmmm...??
    Y'know, Mark, you seriously need to chill out.
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Jul 1, 2009, 07:52 PM

All the different replys will work fine .

Great job on fixing it DMC!!

My thought would be to remove the 2 or 3 screws that hold the vanity to the wall and move it a few inches to get it to fit proper with the regular p trap.

Flexible tailpiece in the horizontal run is a place for the soap and hair to build up.

These are just a few thoughts .Good luck with all

1 -1/2 inch p-trap has a little more room to line up than the 1 -1/4
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Growler, you said, " Dude, make up your mind -- Is it galvanized piping or is it copper DWV piping?"

I was referring to the WASTE for the copper. I was referring to the VENT for the galvanized! So you missed quite a bit really!

HE DIDN'T DO ANY OF THE WORK... except the ptrap and flexible tailpiece... or did you forget to read the original posts by DMC..?

Funny that you would tell me to chill... seems to me you are the one with the stiff pole up his tookus making a big deal of the entire plumbing system under the sink when all this guy wanted was some help with realigning the trap to the sink.

Grow your hair again Growler... ;) Seems to me you need to return to the good ol' days and relax a bit...
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 08:35 PM

Oh, well, it is 11:34 PM in Boston and Mark is still in fighting mood... :D:D:D
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 2, 2009, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler View Post
    You don't see a problem with him telescoping 1-1/2" into 1-1/4"?
    Are my old eyes playing tricks again or has Growler got it backwards?
    I see a 1 1/4" trap connected to a 1 1/2" stubout. Growler, What did you see that I didn't? Regards, Tom
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Are my old eyes playing tricks again or has Growler got it backwards?
    I see a 1 1/4" trap connected to a 1 1/2" stubout. Growler, What did you see that I didn't? Regards, Tom
    I'm talking about the 1-1/2" Sanitary Tee telescoped into the 1-1/4" galvanized drain, Tom.

And now that I'm looking closer at the photos, I'm thinking that isn't even a Sanitary Tee. I don't see the telltale bulge at the bottom of the inlet in any of the photos, my guess would be a Vent Tee.

I was referring to the WASTE for the copper. I was referring to the VENT for the galvanized! So you missed quite a bit really!
    I didn't miss anything, Mark -- The drain is 1-1/4" galvanized.

Look again at the first photo in post #17.

Seriously -- When was the last time you saw an 1-1/2" copper DWV drain combined with an 1-1/4" galvanized vent in a 100 year old home?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 10:25 AM
    I see the galvanized peeking out from behind the bucket now (first photo)... but I didn't see it earlier!

In my area we have always run 1.5" copper pipe to all lavatories and then they reduced to 1.25" galvanized or copper pipes (until PVC). They almost never ran all galvanized for waste lines so I was pretty darn sure that was copper. Galvanized pipes are almost exclusively for vents here... why we can reuse them on occasion.

Anway, as I stated, it is all old work... so although a good idea to replace this stuff in the future I did not bother to address more than what the poster worked on! Guess we can only do so much some days...

In the end, however, I'm glad you brought it up as now DMC can address this in the future... ;)

I SIMPLY COULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU WERE COMING FROM WHEN HE HAD ONLY INSTALLED A TRAP AND CONNECTOR.

Thanks...

MARK
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 10:43 AM

Where is your angle stops ?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 2, 2009, 10:49 AM
    And I can't believe this thread has dragged on for four pages. He's got his trap hooked up with no leaks. Case closed!! Tom
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 2, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Milo... His angle stops are behind the bucket... as posted at post #23... ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall Drain and sink trap [ 8 Answers ]

I replace my original sink with a new sink that is much deeper. The problem that I have is that the wall drain is now higher than the sink trap approximately 2.5". Is there a trick of the trade to fix this or do I need to lower the wall drain completely that is in the wall? I hope not as this will...

Reposition P-trap, waste line to accommodate new vanity shelf [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, It seems that this has been a common problem for many. But the problems that are posted have not exactly been identical to mine, thus I am still on a quest to find a favorable solution. I am remodeling my half bath on the first floor. The new vanity has a fixed shelf measuring about 15.5...

Vanity Sink trap [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing a bathroom sink with very little clearance to place the trap below the waste pipe. Will this present a problem draining water or causing gas fumes? There will also be extra bends involved. Please refer to my sketch. Thanks. Jay

New vanity: trap won't reach wall drain stub [ 3 Answers ]

We replaced a vanity top and sink with a new vanity top having an integrated sink. The new sink is offset horizontally about 1 inch from the old one. Turns out the old sink was at the limit for trap reach; the new one is over further still, so it seems impossible to line up the j-bend portion...

New faucet drain tailpiece does not align with existing pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I simply installed a new faucet & drain pipe for my existing bathroom sink, but now the drain tailpiece does not align with the existing pipes. This doesn't make sense to me, since the drain tailpiece is a straight pipe, but whatever. Do I have to replace the trap, etc. now to make everything...

View more questions Search