Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    7six_seraph Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 10:32 PM
    A tree in the forest!
    Lol, I just have to ask this question in this tread...

Now if a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
    :D
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Jun 30, 2009, 10:35 PM

Scientifically, yes. The sound waves are still produced by the movement of the tree. Philosophically? Depends on your P.O.V.
    I would say yes to both parts, because even if there are no humans around, there are always animals in the forest.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Jul 1, 2009, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 7six_seraph View Post
    lol, i just have to ask this question in this tread...

now if a tree falls in the middle of a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?
    :D
    The tree falling in the forest scenario is an attempt to summarize Berkeley's idealist philosophy. Berkeley claims that there is no such thing as the physical world. All we can know about objects is the ideas we have about them. What we experience are sensations or perceptions of things.

When a tree falls in the forest it creates sound waves,but Berkeley would quickly point out that we don't hear the sound waves. All we can ever hear is a noise and this is different to a sound wave. The noise exists within the mind and is not a sensible thing.

What Berkeley is alluding to is that when we talk about sound we really mean EXPERIENCED noise. Therefore, if no one is around when the tree falls then no one hears it fall.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 1, 2009, 04:24 PM

I will give you the same answer I gave my niece the other day:
    only if it falls on a bear ^_~
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 04:41 PM

That's what voice recorders are for, so you can play the sound back after its fallen :D

Jul 2, 2009, 01:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    The tree falling in the forest scenario is an attempt to summarize Berkeley's idealist philosophy. Berkeley claims that there is no such thing as the physical world. All we can know about objects is the ideas we have about them. What we experience are sensations or perceptions of things.

When a tree falls in the forest it creates sound waves,but Berkeley would quickly point out that we don't hear the sound waves. All we can ever hear is a noise and this is different to a sound wave. The noise exists within the mind and is not a sensible thing.

What Berkeley is alluding to is that when we talk about sound we really mean EXPERIENCED noise. Therefore, if no one is around when the tree falls then no one hears it fall.
    I should have added that that when there is no one around to experience the sound of a tree falling then according to Berkeley it makes no sound
    Brofaux Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2009, 01:16 PM

Depends on whether you look at it at a scientific standpoint or a philosophical one.

The two can be the same, or opposites.
    Tokugawa Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Jul 14, 2009, 07:32 PM

It really doesn't matter if it makes a noise or not, we simply have to assume that it does as it is a necessary condition for our understanding of falling trees. Synthetic Apriori if you like.

Jul 15, 2009, 04:09 PM

I agree that it's synthetic but I don't think it is a priori as well. I think we need to experience trees falling before we can come up with any general statement regarding the noise or lack of noise they make when they fall.

Jul 16, 2009, 03:51 AM

I see what you mean, however I see it as an apriori in that the proposition "All falling trees make a sound" contains a necessary element, i.e sound. For Kant this was the only condition for an apriori conclusion, that it should follow from necessity. Statements such as "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction" would also be apriori, as it holds true in all cases, the "opposite reaction" follows necessarily. Hence the "synthetic apriori" was born.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2009, 04:13 AM

I'm sure that wildlife in that area would tell us yes if they could effectively communicate with us.
    lilangus Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Jul 16, 2009, 04:22 AM
    Are we actually discussing whether we should discuss the possibility of a tree making sounds or lacking the ability to make sounds when falling, that is to say that the tree actually DID fall, knowing that if we are not there to witness this crazy event, that the tree in our minds never really fell after all, it could have been knocked or blown damn by storm or machine. You must figure out whether it fell or got knocked down.

Course there's always God around to see all and hear all, therefore, as they say, only he can judge!

"Remember, only YOU can prevent trees falling...uh...forest fires!" :)

Jul 16, 2009, 06:00 AM

Speaking of synthetic apriori and given the fact that I am a golf tragic... Is the proposition " All short putts are never holed" an example of a synthetic apriori?"

Jul 16, 2009, 10:15 AM

Hehe, my knowledge of golf and golfing terms is weak at best, so I'm not entirely sure. Does "short putt" mean a putt that stops short of the hole? If it does I would say that it is analytic, as you need only look at the definition of the term to establish the validity of the statement. The definition of the term "falling tree" does not suggest sound in any way.
    zortzsch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 03:57 PM
    that it is necessary and apriori flow from the presuppositions embedded in the notion "every"; once this kind of tautology is removed. Berkeley's hypothesis is useful for establishing the conditioning variables by which the conclusion "makes no sound" can be excepted

Sep 21, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Necessary and apriori mean the same thing. For something to be apriori it must be a logical necessity or psychological necessity.

Berkeley claims that there is no such thing as the physical, in terms of independently existing objects. All we can ever know is IDEAS about them.

I am not sure how you are relating the two, could you please expand on this?

Sep 21, 2009, 06:04 PM
    Oh, I get what you are trying to say. No we can't get rid of the "every' so to speak because for something to qualify as apriori it must be by definition UNIVERSAL.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 09:26 PM
    Hi, 7six_seraph!

Whether there is sound or not would be a matter of defining what sound is according to the potential listener.

Thanks!
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2009, 10:47 PM

Is there sound? Most Likely.

Is it relevant to those who don't hear it, probably not.

I love to talk about the skeptic, but what makes any one person's "experience" the conclusive one. If we all lived in a world concerned with nothing more than our own experiences then we would find ourselves at a disadvantage. The unseen world in not invisible, just not yet obtained.

I would like to say that experience lies with just humans, or even animals, but for the sake of this argument, it would also like to extend it with any substance.

If a tree were to fall and nothing experienced its noise, the noise by definition exists. This would be an irrelevant noise. You may compare it to a tree falling on the moon. There is nothing to traverse the sound waves, even though all the elements are there for the experience.

Where does this leave us in conclusion?

I don't know... I suppose it would be more productive to argue the details of the questions. Lack of experience does not eliminate action, however, action doesn't necessarily provide experience.

I vote, Rephrase the Question!!
    Lol

Have fun with this guys.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 21, 2009, 11:17 PM
    Hi, InfoJunkie4Life!

The original question is decades old, if not more. I first encountered it in a physics book having to do with acoustics.

There isn't one straight answer to it, and it is a matter of definition...

How something is defined can be a matter of personal choice, especially when the subject matter is so subjective...

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cut Tree Down? Tree Roots destroying my walkway. [ 7 Answers ]

I have some type of birch tree in the front of my house. The roots have grown up on the lawn and crakes my walk way. The tree is beautiful but is destroying my walkway and the lawn. Can I save it or should I just cut it down. If I replant a tree, what tree can I plant that will avoid damaging my...

How do you kill tree roots after more than 2 years after the tree was cut down? [ 5 Answers ]

About 2 years ago I had a tree removed from my front yard and the stump ground. I was told that this was enough to kill the remaining roots. However, I don't believe that this is true since the driveway is cracking and splitting even more now than when we had the tree. One side of the crack is...

Tree in forest [ 4 Answers ]

If a tree in a forest falls and no one is around to hear it does it make a sound??

My 12' healthy ficus tree is dying.How do I save my tree? [ 0 Answers ]

My Ficus tree were plant in my garden on a slopne for about a year. It doing very well. All the sudden the last two week couple of branches with the leafs start curling, turning yellow or brown and then fall off the branch. I cut of those two branches, now another branch, the leafs start doing the...

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree?

View more questions Search