Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srvgtrfan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 08:39 PM
    Shower head dripping
    I have an American Standard (colony, I believe) shower control valve. It has two oval-type seals and one round seal in the cartridge. My shower head has been dripping very slowly for a couple months now. I replaced the cartridge as I thought this would be the fix but I still have the dripping, which never stops now. Could it be the manifold or pressure controller inside the manifold? I really do not want to replace the manifold as this would mean tearing out my tile on the wall. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 12:55 AM

The new cartridge should have fixed it. I would remove the new cartridge, put my finger inside the body of the faucet and feel for imperfections. Also, lubricate washer before you slide new cartridge in so you don't clip the O ring. Reinstall and see if it helped..

Jul 1, 2009, 10:12 AM
    Thanks for the response Milo. I don't have a faucet to put my finger in. Not sure I understand. I have a single handle controller for my shower head. I do not have a tub combo. I remove the valve/cartridge and all I can see is a manifold with a pressure controller inside it. The cartridge has seals in it that seal up against a smooth surface of the manifold. I can feel that area and it feels fine/smooth.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 10:47 AM

Ok, if the interior of the faucet body appears to be smooth and without imperfections that check out the seals attached to the cartridge. Any smallest dent or nip will cause water to pass through and into your shower.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 11:42 AM

On top of Milo's advice I will suggest to remove the cartridge, puls the water for a second to flush out any dirt from the valve, clean/ lubricate and install the cartridge.

Thanks.
    John

Jul 1, 2009, 04:46 PM
    Thank you both very much for the advice. Tried the flushing but still have the dripping. Called a plumber out and he is now suggesting replacement of the rough in manifold/housing? or the pressure control unit. Hopefully not the rough in. A LOT of tile on both sides of wall. Thanks again gentlemen. I appreciate it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rain shower head & handheld shower head problem [ 4 Answers ]

I have a shower with 2 pipes for showers heads (one on the wall in front, and one on a side wall). The wall in front has a rain shower head on it. The wall to the side has a hand held shower head attached. The pipe with the hand held shower attached has a push button valve to turn the handheld on...

Dripping Shower Head [ 0 Answers ]

I have the common drip from the shower head. I have a Kohler Faucet set - 3 years old, Shower only - single handle. I am guessing my hard water does not help matters. I have cleaned the head (lots of minerals), replaced the head washers – still have my drip. It's a Kohler K-304-KS value. My...

Faucet pull out knob and shower head dripping [ 1 Answers ]

I have an EMCO standard tub faucet. There is water draining out of the shower pull out knob and the shower head itself when I am just pouring a bath. Why is this happening and can I get parts to fix this problem? Also, I can’t figure how to remove the pull out knob thing to see if it’s a...

American Standard - dripping from shower head [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a problem with water dripping from my shower head. I have American Standard hardware with a single lever knob (shower only, no tub). I installed a new cartridge 023529-0070A but that has not fixed the problem. My house is only 4 years old. I'm not a skilled DIY type but this...

View more questions Search