Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bill022572 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 08:23 PM
    Vessel Sink Clearance
    HI - not sure if this is the right place to ask this - but here goes. I have a vessel sink that is 16.5 inches in diameter : would a vanity with depth of 18 inches and a vanity top that has a depth of 19 inches be big enough for this sink ? Or should I go with a bigger vanity and top ? I can put the faucet off-set : maybe at about 10 or 2 o'clock. Thanks - - BILL
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 30, 2009, 08:47 PM

I'll let you know tomorrow night. Tomorrow I will be at a customer's house where I install one in a powder room with a vanity of about that size.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 05:17 AM

You are on the right track: yes, you can install the sink but the faucet will be at 10 or 2 o'clock. I have seen it this tight before and it looked acceptable.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2009, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bill022572 View Post
    HI - not sure if this is the right place to ask this - but here goes. I have a vessel sink that is 16.5 inches in diameter : would a vanity with depth of 18 inches and a vanity top that has a depth of 19 inches be big enough for this sink ? Or should I go with a bigger vanity and top ? I can put the faucet off-set : maybe at about 10 or 2 o'clock. Thanks - - BILL
    Hey Bill,
    Are you saying the vanity top only has a area of 19 inches? And you wish to fill that space with a 16 1/2" diameter vessel sink?
    Do you have a space problem in your bath that you have to cram a lavatory into a space that's clearly too small for it?
    While Milo may find it "acceptable" I don't see it that way. (sorry Milo).
    If space permits I would opt for a larger vanity. Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bill022572 View Post
    Putting it at the 10 or 2 position isn't going to leave you much 'meat' at the corner of the countertop, it will also put you close, possibly too close to the side of the cabinet box.

Have you considered using an 'in-wall' valve instead of the counter mounted valve?
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 06:19 AM

Bill, we install vessel sinks on small and / or narrow cabinets quite often. Many times, cabinet cannot be upgraded because of its style or it may be because of the space requirements. But in many instances, the combination of small cabinet and larger vessel sink is very stylish. I am enclosing few examples for you to demonstrate my point. Best of luck with your project ! Milo
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2009, 06:33 AM
    Thanks Milo! You gave it a whole new slant. Regards, tom
    bill022572 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 02:09 PM

WOW - that's action ! Thanks for all the replies. I can fit a 36 inch wide vanity and depth is not a problem - I had just found one for a good price with a depth of only 18 inches ( so I figured the top would be about 19 inches deep). Has anyone ever used or seen a sink cabinet used ( like for a kitchen ) ? I know it would be a few inches higher but would also be way deeper ( 24 inches ). Just not sure . Thanks again for all the replies. BILL
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 03:14 PM

Bill, be careful. The kitchen cabinet is 34" high + the granite. Now, when you put your tall vessel sink on top of it - the rim may end up too high. Do physical check first. Pull out the sink, place it on kitchen table and see if that height is fine with you.
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Bill,
    You forgot to mention that your "bargain vanity" wasn't a vanity at all but a kitchen cabinet. In my area kitchen countertops are 36" while vanities run 32".
    Better listen to Milo and do a dry run to see if you will need a step stool to wash your face. (Just kidding) but I really would check it out. A kitchen cabinet would be as little high even with a regular drop in lavatory add the height of a vessel sink to the kitchen cabinet and you have some serious height to contend with. Let us know the outcome. Regards, tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 06:51 PM

I checked the powder room with the vessel sink. Vessel sink 16.5 diameter, depth of vanity top 21". There is a mirror on the wall behind vessel sink immediately above the back splash. Mirror frame is 2" thick, reducing the effective depth of vanity top to 20". Faucet at 10 o'clock, 1" from rim of vessel sink. Looks fine to me.
    Wish I had placed the faucet further away from sink. Spout comes out of faucet at 45 degree downward angle. Water stream over shoots drain. Had to reduce flow to prevent splashing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exploding vessel sink [ 6 Answers ]

My six month old glass vessel sink exploded this morning! I am wondering if others have experienced this, and what caused it.

What drain should I use for a vessel sink [ 5 Answers ]

I've been told you need to use a special drain for vessel sinks to get them to drain. What are some of the recommended brands that work well in this application? Doug

Vessel sink drains [ 4 Answers ]

Mark, thank you for the quick response. The first picture you sent me is a drain with overflow holes, can that be used with a vessal sink that does not have an overflow.

Vessel Sink--Draining [ 2 Answers ]

We have a vessel sink, installed by a plumber and the sink fills half way before it drains, and it drains with a lot of suction after it fills half way. The plumber tells us this is normal, I can't believe it Can you please confirm that he is right, and if not how I would go about fixing it...

Hooking up a vessel sink [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a vessel sink atop an adapted wooden vanity (which started life as a night-table). We're raising the vessel up about four inches by constructing a box for it on top of the surface of the vanity. My question is, can someone show me a diagram of the proper way to extend the drain...

View more questions Search