Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdhar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2009, 02:07 PM
    Spouse of G Visa Holder
    I am a L1 Visa holder and my wife is working with the UN on L2-EAD. UN is asking her to join them on a G Visa. Will I also have to necessarily change to a G visa or can I continue to be on L1 Visa?
    nyskod Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 08:24 AM
    Hi

Yes. You will need to convert. The US Code of Federal Regulations, 22 CFR 41.24(b)(4) provides:
    'An alien... entitled to classification under INA 101(a)(15)(G) shall be classified under the latter section, even if also eligible for another nonimmigrant classification.'

This means that if you are entitled to G4 dependent status (which you will be upon your wife becoming entitled to G4 status), then you must be so classified and admitted on a G4 dependent visa, even if you are eligible for another nonimmigrant visa category. That is, you will not be allowed to maintain your L1 status. The US mission that is processing your wife's G4 visa application will not issue the G4 visa until it has resolved your visa status, that is, until it also processes your conversion to G4 dependent status.

Your should note that once your status changes to G4 dependent, you will not able to work until you receive the required employment authorisation from USCIS (which, will take between three to six weeks).

You will also both need to leave the US to change from your present nonimmigrant status to G4 status.

Hope this helps.
    sdhar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 08:38 AM
    Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by nyskod View Post
    Hi

Yes. You will need to convert. The US Code of Federal Regulations, 22 CFR 41.24(b)(4) provides:
    'An alien...entitled to classification under INA 101(a)(15)(G) shall be classified under the latter section, even if also eligible for another nonimmigrant classification.'

This means that if you are entitled to G4 dependent status (which you will be upon your wife becoming entitled to G4 status), then you must be so classified and admitted on a G4 dependent visa, even if you are eligible for another nonimmigrant visa category. That is, you will not be allowed to maintain your L1 status. The US mission that is processing your wife's G4 visa application will not issue the G4 visa until it has resolved your visa status, that is, until it also processes your conversion to G4 dependent status.

Your should note that once your status changes to G4 dependent, you will not able to work until you receive the required employment authorisation from USCIS (which, will take between three to six weeks).

You will also both need to leave the US to change from your present nonimmigrant status to G4 status.

Hope this helps.
    downloader10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2012, 10:47 AM
    Is there no way around this at all i.e. is the conversion from L1 to G4 dependent mandatory? I have a similar situation as above but do not want to convert to G4 dependent and want to see if there is any way around?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Returns for L1A Visa Holder with spouse & 3years Kid [ 7 Answers ]

Raj: I am Raj from India entered and working in US from Aug '06 through L1A visa. My spouse(not working) & kid(less than 3 years) joined me in Oct '06 through L2 visa. This is our first visit to US. I have a SSN but my spouse and Kid do not have SSN. I need to file my returns for 2006...

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

L1 visa holder, does not yet applied for spouse ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, 1) I reached NYC on 4th Oct, 2006 with L1 visa. 2) My spouse reached there on 15th Dec, 2006 with L2. 3) I filed Income Tax return for 2006 singlely. 4) We returned back to India on 1st Aug, 2007. 5) I never applied for ITIN for my spouse. A. In the above scenario, how can I apply for...

Work or Spouse Visa.future Military spouse. [ 1 Answers ]

I really have no idea where to start... I am engaged and currently visiting my fiancé (a Marine) in Okinawa, Japan. . He is stationed in Japan for the next 9 months. I was considering moving to Japan to be with him during this tour. I do not have a job in the US, I will more than likely find...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search