Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GaryArt Posts: 43, Reputation: 12

Oct 14, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Challenging a law
    How would I go about challenging the legality/constitutionality of a law or statute?

What type of action would I bring to challenge a newly-enacted Federal statute?

Who should I name as parties?

Mainly, I want (a) an injunction preventing enforcement (immediately, and during the case), and (b) declaratory relief establishing that the law is unconstitutional and void (permamently).

I know a little bit about law, and I know my way around the courthouse (filings, etc. but this is a little beyond what I've been imvolved wth before. I'd appreciate any guidance, suggestions, advice, etc.

Thx.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2006, 10:02 AM
    Visit is site it may help you understand how to

Link:
    http://www.suijuris.net/
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 10:28 AM
    Hello Gary:

There may be a path that a citizen can use, WITHOUT there first being a case. I wouldn't know how to do that. Maybe a citizen's initiative?

Nonetheless, challenges to law are taken up in the courts AFTER a case has been brought where the government (or somebody) acted contrary to the Constitution (or at least the petitioner/appellant hopes so).

Of course, Congress can repeal a law, but they're not going to do that.

excon

PS> So, whatever law you want to challenge, go get yourself arrested for it, and bingo, you're on your way.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2006, 12:49 PM
    You have to have a standing to the law.

For example if you want to challegne a law on abortion ban, you would have to want an abortion and be denied, then you file a law suit in federal court.

If the law does not effect you, you can not bring suit against it.

Of course you will have to sue and it will have to go to the supreme court to be heard. And it will cost 10's of thousands of dollars just to file and have copies of all the paper work for the justicies
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 09:05 PM
    What has your attorney advised? If (s)he believes the law(s) in question are unconstitutional then (s)he'll build your defense around that premise. Whether the judge will agree is a whole other matter. If you lose you can always appeal on the same grounds. Most declarations of a law being unconstitutional occur in the higher courts as a result of appeals.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2006, 05:10 AM
    Step 1 is to be convicted or denied action under the law. I don't believe that being unconstitutional is grounds for a defense against the initial action. As I understand it, lower courts don't have the right to rule on constitutionality. That's the province of the Appeals Courts.

Once you are convicted or denied some action, you then start the appeals process on the grounds that the law is unconstitutional. The case winds its way through the judiciary eventually reaching the Supreme Court. Any ruling they make is final.

You might try contacting your local ACLU office if you feel strongly about it.

I'm just curious as to what statute you believe is unconstitutional.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's the law? [ 4 Answers ]

If an ex has made threats against you and said if you got pregnant by him he would hurt the baby and still wanted nothing to do with either one of you do you have to legally tell him that you are pregnant? (I have a restraining order) I don't want to tell him because I don't know what he'll do. He...

Law [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm HoNee and I got a question, hopefully someone can help. I'm kind of stuck in a rut, I was placed on unsupervised probation for 12 months after pleading guilty to a possession charge, I was to complete 32 hours of drug counseling and pay fines. Anyhow, I've paid the fines and am about to...

The law [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ontario Canada. My question is how much force can a collection agency use. I have a large phone bill I can't pay.What are my rights-what can they do to me??

View more questions Search