Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 07:52 AM
    A sly remark
    My mother in law is a very loud flamboyant women who talks and talks non stop
    When she relates a story about her million friends I tend to lose track of what she is saying as she relates the story like I actually know these people.
    Anyway when I ask to repeat as I'm confused or something - she giggles and says it doesn't take much

Now whether she is serious or not I don't no!
    But its abit annoying as its said every time...

What would be a sly remark to her saying - it doesn't take much
    (im no idiot)
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:38 AM

Ignore it. Some mother in laws are like this. Mine included. (please note I'm not saying ALL mother in laws are EVIL, as the wives tale goes)

This may be her normal behavior with her own kids. They grew up with it, so they have learned to ignore it.

I would talk to her about it the next time she does it. Say very politely but specifically 'i don't like it when you say that... it really hurts my feelings' and explain to her that she is speaking too quickly for you to follow and that it does not mean your stupid or slow, it simply means she is speaking too quickly.

I had this problem with my mother in law due to language barriers. I am white, she is mexican and I don't speak spanish, so she confused me often...

Good luck hon
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2009, 12:11 AM
    Thanks for that!

I could just tell her straight - are you calling me stupid? HAHA!
    See what she says to that!
    3XaCharm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 12:29 AM

If you're not interested in the stories you could just say stuff like "huhuh", "right", "yea", "really", "wow" etc until she's done talking. Works for me in situations like that.

If you really are interested kindly explain that you don't personally know the people so it makes it difficult for you to follow the story and that's why you ask questions.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 07:46 AM

Haha that's pretty much what I do 3XaCharm!

I always get stories that begin with
    "OH did you see that thing? Oh what was it?" and then she stops talking for ages... I never know what to say!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 07:49 AM
    Say something like "no, but I still ain't got what it takes" with a smile on your face and a hint of laughter in your voice.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 03:53 PM

I do what 3xacharm said or if I am interested then I repeat back ''So you are saying that person A did this with person B behind their back and then person C told the wife person D and then D flipped out on B and...
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2009, 01:53 AM
    I like the... ""uhuh, yea, I see, wow, right, gotcha", responses.

Unless you're really interested, I wouldn't ask questions. Just smile a lot.

I suspect she probably likes to hear the sound of her own voice and your questions are just interrupting the blah blah.
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2009, 01:33 AM
    Thanks ill do that.. haha!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search