Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louisepc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 07:39 AM
    My husband has a 401K plan with a company that is doing very well in the stock market. The company is selling this particular property in Western NY. The new owner does not offer a 401K plan. What are our options with the money in the 401K? I know we can roll it into a Roth IRA but I was wondering if we need to do anything. I would love to keep the money invested in the stocks that we currently own. Thanks for any help.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2006, 10:24 AM
    You can roll it into an IRA and keep your money in the same stocks, mutual funds, or whatever - that they're in now.

You can do it yourself (at fidelity.com for one) but I'm one who prefers to have a broker handle things for me. There's no charge to handle the transfer (a good broker will get a small percentage of your total annually, though) so unless you feel real confident with wading through the formalities (basically paperwork), then start shopping around for a good broker.
    louisepc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2006, 11:47 AM
    Thank you so much for the info. We are so confused and no one was giving us answers. It will be a while before the new owner takes over so we have some time to get a broker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k [ 2 Answers ]

I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT HOW $ MONEY IS TAKEN OUT, WHEN YOU TAKE OUT ALL THE MONEY?:D I NEED TO CLOSE IT BECAUSE NO MORE MONEY IS BEING INVESTED IN TO IT.:eek: I GOT IT BECUASE THE COPANY I USE TO WORK FOR OFFERED IT TO ME BUT I DO NOT WANT IT ANY MORE. HOW DO I KNOW HOW MUCH WILL BE GONE?

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was listening to a Suzi Orman program where she is now saying, unless the employer offers a 40lK company match, do not contribute to a 40lK. The reason? The tax rates today are much less then they were 10,15,20 years ago. My company does not match, however I contribute 15% of my salary. I...

401k [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was laid of from his job due to downsizing last April. He had been with the company for a little over 4.5 years. We recently received notification that the company had taken back their matched contributions to his 401K leaving only his contributions. Is this legal? Is there any...

401k help [ 2 Answers ]

You may have answered this question from other members, but I just wanted to get something clear. I've left my job 6 months ago. My new job doesn't have a retirement plan that I can roll over my 401k to. I'm not really that interested in opening up an IRA account. I'm thinking about just cashing...

View more questions Search