Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisanoce Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 04:48 PM
    Equations for Gas, Volume Problems (grade 11 problems)
    I just need to know the formulas in order to solve the following questions because my teacher gave me a review on everything but I don't know the formulas at all. I know how to solve the questions though. I did them before but I just need the formulas in order to solve them... I forgot them.

The questions are:

1) What volume of a 17.4 mol/L acetic acid stock solution is required to make 2.0 L of a 1.5 mol/l acetic acid solution
    2) Determine the volume of a balloon at STP assuming that it occupies a volume of 7.75 L at a temperature of 0 degrees Celsius and a pressure of 125 kPa.
    3) A pressure reading of 275 kPa is found when the temperature of air in a piston is 35 degrees Celsius and the volume is 2.5 L. What will the temp. reading be, in degrees Celsius, if the volume doubles and the pressure becomes 100 kPa?
    4)Black gunpower stored in a barrel has been ignited and 1245g of KNO3 (s) are formed in the exploding mixture. What will the total volume be of all gases produced in this explosive at a temp. of 350 degrees Celsius and a pressure of 2000 kPa?
    KNO3 (s) + C(s) + S8 (s) --> N2(g) + CO2(g) + K2S8 (s)

Thanks
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2009, 08:35 PM
    #1. You have a solution of concentration 17.4 moles/liter. You want to dilute that to 1.5 moles/liter. You can figure out how many moles will be in the final solution and how much of the original solution to measure out. If you multiply Moles/Liter times Liters, the Liters will cancel out and you'll have moles.

#2. is the ideal gas law. P=pressure, V=volume, n=number of moles, T=absolute temperature. R is the "universal gas constant". You can Google it.

#3. Same equation.

#4. Calculate the number of moles of N2 and CO2. That's what causes the pressure. 1 mole of KNO3 generates 2 moles of gas (from the equation) -- one mole of CO2 and one mole of N2. Calculate the molecular weight of KNO3 (Grams/Mole) and divide the number of grams you have by the molecular weight

You'll find from the ideal gas law (plug in the temperature and pressure and solve for the volume) that at STP, 1 mole occupies 22.4 Liters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Solving word problems using equations [ 5 Answers ]

Solving a word problem using a system of linear equations: A motorboat travels in 456kkm/8 hr hours going upstream and in 534 km in 6 hours going downstream. What is the speed of the boat in still water, and what is the speed of the current?

Solving Problems with Quadratic Equations [ 1 Answers ]

The captain of a river boat cruise charges $36 per person, including lunch. The cruise averages 300 customers per day. The captain is considering increasing the price. A survey of customers indicates that for every $2 increase, there would be 10 fewer customers. What increase in price would...

Algebra 9th grade word problems [ 1 Answers ]

Find the number of ful 8 hour shifts that Maria worked last month. 1) She worked twice as many 6 hour shifts as 8 hour shifts. 2) She worked a total of 280 hours. How do we solve??

Volume problems dvd recorder [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have a dvr/cable box. I am running s-video to the dvd recorder and the video is fine. My problem is the audio. I directly run the white/red cables to the dvd recorder and it all is done correctly. What happens is the volume is very low on the created dvd. Is there a setting in either the...

How to set up equations out of word problems. [ 5 Answers ]

I am having some trouble thinking of how to set up equations out of word problems most of them I can get but there were a few on my homework that I am not getting. Here is the Problem: A mixture of 12 liters of chemical A, 16 liters of chemical B and 26 liters of chemical C is required to kill...

View more questions Search