Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spiritcharms Posts: 230, Reputation: 30

Jun 29, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Vicks Cool Mist Humidifer
    Hi, I have just bought a cool mist humidifer for our bedroom mainly because my 19 month son has a stuffy nose a lot.

We haven't long been in the property we are in, so there are no bedroom carpets down yet, the walls are painted and wooden floorboards.

We used the mister on the first night we got it, and it was great blowing cool air into the room, it cleared both my nose and my sons.

However lately, I keep smelling a wood smell and like a damp plaster smell, although we are going through a heatwave here at the moment, so don't know of that has anything to do with it or not.

Would this be telling me that the room has enough moisture in it? And now although cool air is still blowing out but for some reason the it seems to warm the room up?

Confused, not too sure whether these are actually for summer, what would you recommend?
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jun 29, 2009, 05:37 PM

Humidity makes things feel warmer. That is why most people use them in the winter because the air gets so dry.
    Keep in mind your ac units main job is to remove humidity, so you might be making it work harder too. Cool mist or not humidity is humidity.
    spiritcharms Posts: 230, Reputation: 30

Jun 30, 2009, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by siberianair View Post
    humidity makes things feel warmer. that is why most people use them in the winter because the air gets so dry.
    keep in mind your ac units main job is to remove humidity, so you might be making it work harder too. cool mist or not humidity is humidity.
    :) Thank you for your reply.

We did realise afterwards that most people do use these in the winter,particularly with central heating being on. However, it's stuffy in summer too, and dry weather, maybe an air conditioning unit would be better suited for the summer time?

That could be the explanation that the unit is overworking.

What would someone suggest?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 05:49 AM

Purchase a hygrometer; it measures the moisture in the air so you can adjust the settings. Personally I prefer an evaporative humidifier because once the air is saturated, the water won't evaporate. So the air always ends up being "comfortable".

If you have condensation on anything then that's a sign that the humidity level in your home is too high. You can purchase a humidifier at many department stores (where the humidifiers are) or a home improvement store.

EDIT: Keep in mind, continuously keeping your humidity levels too high can create an environment for mold growth. BAD!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Body mist? [ 5 Answers ]

I got a bottle of "body mist" of olive oil as a gift. How is it used and what is a body mist normally used for? What are the other kinds of body mist and which ones are better? Thanks

Inhaling vicks while fasting - is my fast nullified? [ 3 Answers ]

I wish to know whether it is permissible to put one’s nose a tube That has Vicks that one inhales in order to open (open one’s air ducts) Nasal congestion due to Flu & Cold. If a person uses it while fasting is His fasting nullified and qadaa obligatory? I used it while fasting (3 or...

Need to wire a humidifer to the blower on the furnace [ 2 Answers ]

I an trying to install a honeywell 360 humidifier on a Trane xb90 furnace. I have completed the installation but the sail switch does not operate very well causing my considerable distress. I would like to wire the control for the humidifier to the blower on the furnace so that when the blower...

View more questions Search