Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bchougule Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2003, 06:57 PM
    Aircraft emission
    How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?
    raymond47 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2004, 04:04 PM
    Aircraft emission
    Aircraft engines be it jet or piston produce water vapor in their exhaust. The lines you see in the air is the water vapor condencing (sp) and forming cloud like lines. It usually depends on the hight of the aircraft the higher the more likely you will see the streaks.
    Locii Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2004, 10:18 AM
    Contrails
    Just to give a name to what Raymond47 described---those lines behind high-altitude aircraft are called "contrails."
    hotshot Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2005, 08:25 PM
    Contrails
    I have also seen them when aircraft pull high g-loads. From what I remember, the contrails in this case is caused by the water vapor being literally squeezed out of the air even at low altitude.
    shanus Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Sep 22, 2005, 06:02 PM
    Contrails
    Just another bit of info on contrails... I live in a tropical and humid part of the world, I have never seen a contrail where I live, even when aircraft fly over at 36,000' or so. They don't form in moist air, where the dew-point is higher ;)
    morejoe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bchougule
    How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?
    They're called "contrails", short for condensation trails. It is just the water vapors in aircraft engine exhaust turning to ice crystals at high altitudes because of very cold temperatures. Kind of like when you can see your breath on a cold day.
    Old_Fart Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Contrails are water condensation. When the air is compressed, it heats up, when it returns to normal, it cools down. Water will then come out of solution.

I am sure that water vapor from the engines has some effect, but why then are there always TWO contrails regardless of the number of engines the plane has and the placement of those engines. For example, would one see two contrails from tens of miles away if the engines are center mounted?

The number of contrails equals the number of wings and comes about when the air returns to its stable state after having energy apllied to it by the wings.

I have witnessed high G-load contrails on aircraft close to the ground. The contrails clearly come off the wingtips. Because of the relatively high air temperature at low altitudes, these contrails dissipate rapidly.

The next time you are seated in a window seat on a commercial aircraft during takeoff on a humid day, look at the wings shortly after rotation. You may see "clouds" forming on the top of the wing. This is a similar principle at work.

It is interesting how far behind the aircraft a contrail will form.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Naval aircraft mechanic cannot get his car started [ 81 Answers ]

So I bought a 1992 honda civic DX auto and after a week of buying it, it crapped out on me. It would crank, but would not fire up. Immediately I began troubleshooting. I checked for spark and there was none when I grounded the plugs against the frame several times while my friend cranked it. Next I...

Aircraft emission [ 3 Answers ]

Another emission of odor from shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have foul odor coming from the bathroom which sweeps through my apartment. I have a stacked washer/dryer combo in my bathroom, along with the shower, sink, and toilet. The sink and toilet have traps installed. The washer and dryer do not, I have been told by the building manager. He stated...

View more questions Search