Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallwildoats Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Can ABS be encased in concrete?
    I'm putting a new bath in a converted 2 car garage with an existing slab on grade. I will be pouring another slab over the old one (as the old one is not that pretty... ), but don't have much depth to work with in connecting to the 4" house drain. Can I encase the ABS drain pipes in concrete? Thanks for any help.
    Aaron
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 28, 2009, 04:39 PM

Are you thinking of putting that ABS in the thickness of the new slab? Do not do that, trench out the old concrete, lay your drains in gravel and cover the drain with more gravel, then pour.
    tallwildoats Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2009, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Are you thinking of putting that ABS in the thickness of the new slab?? Do not do that, trench out the old concrete, lay your drains in gravel and cover the drain with more gravel, then pour.
    Gotcha! Thank you. Do I need to sleeve the stub ups with something?
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tallwildoats View Post
    gotcha! thank you. do i need to sleeve the stub ups with something?
    Foam sill seal is what I use to sleeve DWV risers.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 29, 2009, 09:43 AM

Growlers suggestion is very inexpensive and works great. In a pinch you can use some foam packing material if you don't have a rool of sill seal. You must have a slip surface between the drain pipe and concrete.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extending a concrete slab patio using concrete blocks [ 11 Answers ]

I currently have a 14x16 concrete patio I am about to build a pergola over and have also decided to lay stone tiles over the concrete instead of staining it to give it a new look. I was looking at my plans and realized this would be a perfect opportunity to extend my patio out another 5ft so it...

How do I lay concrete over concrete to avoid chipping, flaking and cracking? [ 4 Answers ]

I am considering overlaying concrete over concrete in the basement. How can I best do this to avoid problems with it in the future. I plan on coloring the cement before I say or staining it once it has been overlayed. I want to do it right the first time. Thanks

Interior concrete floors over the existing concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

Can you put an interior decorative concrete floor over an existing concrete slab that now is carpeted

Installing a concrete shower floor over a custom concrete pan. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a stained concrete shower floor instead of tile. I have already installed a custom shower pan and pitched it to specs. My question is should I be concerned about the new floor cracking since it will only be 1/2" thick? If you have any other suggestions on the install, please...

80's children's Movie (Tree encased in glass) [ 3 Answers ]

I don't remember much about this movie, but what I do remember, hopefully someone else can too and tell me what the heck it is! Ok... all I remember is a witch (or similar type bad person) who stayed young by eating some type of fruit off a tree that was encased in glass. The glass enclosure...

View more questions Search